- Government of Ireland
- Ireland (IE)
- Closing date
- 28 Mar 2023
- Public Sector, Not for Profit / Charity
- Executive Management, Strategy
- Senior Management
- Contract Type
The Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications
The Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications plays a key role in Ireland’s long term environmental, economic and social development. The vision of the Department, is for a climate neutral, sustainable and digitally connected Ireland.
The mission of the Department is to collaboratively deliver policies and programmes to empower people, communities, and businesses to continue the transition to a better quality of life for current and future generations. The Department is responsible for policy development, programme implementation, regulation and enforcement, operational field work, contract management and compliance and governance oversight.
The Secretary General is responsible for providing advice to the Minister and Ministers of State, for ensuring the effective implementation of policy, for the overall stewardship of the Department and its agencies and is accountable for the proper discharge of the Exchequer and EU funding allocated to the Department. This senior position requires the office holder to take responsibility for the strategic leadership of the Department focussing on delivery of the Department’s key policies and programmes, and in particular the Department’s Strategy and with particular emphasis on the Programme for Government.
The person appointed will:
- have a proven track record as a leader and senior manager in a large or complex organisation in either the public, private or not-for-profit sectors and knowledge of, or capacity to quickly acquire a broad understanding of, the Department's wide range of responsibilities;
- be required to set strategic direction and vision for the work of the Department having regard to the external environment, including understanding the broader public policy and political context;
- A track record of successful delivery and governance of complex programmes;
- demonstrate sound judgement on complex interlinked issues across a range of public policy areas and on the implications of different approaches;
- have excellent communication skills and a track record in managing relationships, providing developmental leadership and managing for results;
- be able to demonstrate the balance of resilience and flexibility needed in the role;
- have a strong and well developed ability for leadership including the capacity to combine all inputs to strategy through the Department’s Management Board;
- be able to demonstrate leadership in shaping culture, communications and employee engagement.
This is a Top Level Appointments Committee position.
If you feel you would benefit from a confidential discussion, please contact Sandra Cairns at email@example.com
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is 3pm on Thursday 30th March, 2023.
We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications under all nine grounds of the Employment Equality Act.
For More information and how to apply please click the apply button
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert