Vacancies Non-executive Director and Non-executive Chair of the Audit and Risk CommitteeJob IntroductionThe BBC has engaged Odgers Berndtson to assist in the recruitment process for these two non-executive Board appointments.For further details and to make an application, please visit the links below.
The British Broadcasting Corporation is the world's leading public service broadcaster and occupies a special place in the cultural life of the UK. The Board of the BBC is seeking to appoint two new Non-executive Directors.
The BBC's mission is defined by Royal Charter : to act in the public interest, serving all audiences through the provision of impartial, high-quality and distinctive output and services which inform, educate and entertain.
The BBC is independent in all matters concerning the fulfilment of its mission and the promotion of the public purposes. It is funded primarily by the licence fee and seeks to deliver distinctive content that serves all audiences.
In addition to this, the BBC's Commercial operations - including the producer and distributor BBC Studios - generate additional revenue for investment in new programming and services for UK audiences.
Both new appointees to the Board should have experience working at the highest level of public life in the UK and/or internationally, as well as an understanding of the public service and commercial media sectors and the challenges they face.
In addition to the above, the following specific experiences are sought for the two roles.Non-executive Director
Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee
- Senior experience in commissioning or production of media content - either in television, radio, news or online; and/or
- Editorial responsibility at a senior level, including running editorial operations and/or maintaining standards.
This role is responsible for oversight of the BBC's corporate governance, particularly with respect to financial reporting, internal controls and risk management. The individual should have:
- Experience of chairing an Audit Committee for a commercial and/or public sector organisation.
- A professional qualification from one of the professional accountancy bodies.
- Demonstrable experience of exercising effective financial stewardship and securing value for money.
- Experience in commercial and/or operational management, with a particular focus on strategy development, audit or risk.
- Senior level governance expertise relating to finance, risk management, audit and performance management.
- Understanding of the relevant codes and frameworks governing corporate reporting in the UK, including in relation to financial management, sustainability and governance.
- Expertise in risk management and the design, analysis, and scrutiny of risk assurance processes.
Package DescriptionFurther Information
All applications will be received via Odgers Berndtson, please kindly apply using the links provided in the advert
This appointment is made by the Board, following a proposal by the Nominations Committee. Although not a formal public appointments process, the process will be guided by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments' Code of Practice.Additional Information:
The BBC board typically meets eight times a year. Additionally there may be ad-hoc meetings with members of BBC management, audience and stakeholders, and for the Audit Chair, the National Audit Office.
Non-executive directors are expected to commit four days a month to the role, possibly more in the first year as they induct themselves into the role.
The non-executive directors receive a fee of £33,000. A committee chair fee of £5,000 is paid in addition to the Audit and Risk Committee Chair.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
Non-executive Director and Non-executive Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee
- Job ReferenceBBC/TP/589305/64443
- Contract TypeFixed Term Part Time
- Closing Date07 December, 2022
- Job CategoryOther
- Business UnitCEE - Company Secretariat
- LocationThe Board and Audit Committee generally meet in London, though may also meet at other locations around the country during the year., United Kingdom