Are you an outstanding communicator and team leader? We are looking for our first Director to lead our new Directorate of Insight Communications and Engagement and strengthen and deepen our relationships with all patients, staff, communities, partners and stakeholders. This role will promote our values and mission and equality, diversity and inclusion with the people and communities we serve.
Swansea Bay University Health Board has created a new team to improve how we hear and listen, learn and act on what the people we serve and who work for us say, and feel about our services and what it's like to work here. We have brought together our engagement, fundraising and communications specialists to work in an integrated directorate to maximise the impact of their skills and grow our capability to engage with all our audiences.
We intend to develop new insights into how we are performing, improve how peoples' experience and views can shape and improve our services. We intend to implement a programme of 'permanent engagement' with our audiences that builds, sustains and values relationships with them so that we are each better connected and have the opportunity to better understand and contribute to our service delivery and developments.
Main duties of the job You will be committed to our mission and values and have the skills, experience and behaviours to maximise the communication skills and resources we have invested in the directorate. You will have confidence and empathy to be part of a leadership team that is focussed on improvement and quality to deliver better patient experience and outcomes.
You will develop our engagement, fundraising and communications activity to generate new insights into we deliver services and the views of our communities and staff. You will ensure that equality, diversity and inclusion are integral values and behaviours in our work and hold a mirror up to the organisation and the leadership to both celebrate achievement, promote progress and recognise concerns.
You will provide strategic leadership for the Health Board's communications, engagement, fundraising, media work and on external facing equality, diversity and inclusion matters and act as the principal adviser on these and related issues to the Chief Executive and Chair and wider Health Board.
Reporting directly to the Chair and the Chief Executive, the Director of Insight, Communications and Engagement this is a pivotal role in transforming the way that people are involved in and informed about health and care and how healthcare is discussed with all audiences and stakeholders across the Swansea Bay area and beyond over the next 5-10 years. We are looking for an outstanding individual to realise this ambition.
Please read the job description for full details on responsibilities and requirements.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post; English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.
Qualifications and/or Knowledge Essential
- Educated to Master's degree or demonstrable equivalent professional experience in communications and engagement. Extensive knowledge and experience or managing service/function in a multi-faceted complex organisation such as the NHS. Specialist knowledge and/or experience, underpinned by demonstrable significant experience and/or specialist courses.
- Good understanding of Welsh Government and NHS Wales organisation.
Qualifications and/or Knowledge Essential
- Evidence of continued professional and leadership development. Good understanding of NHS structures and key current issues facing the service. Knowledge of Fundraising in the NHS and charity governance.
- Experience of collaboration with key stakeholders to deliver effective communications strategies and campaigns.. Extensive experience working as a communications and engagement professional at a senior level in a complex organisation, covering all aspects of communications and engagement activities. Experience in successful management of communications and engagement associated with significant organisational and service changes/reconfigurations. Experience of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programmes and practice. Experience of dealing with sensitive issues in a culturally and politically complex environment. Experience of brand development. Experience of working in the NHS and/or other healthcare-related organisations. Experience of designing and delivering effective patient and public engagement programmes. Experience of leading successful internal and external campaigns using a wide range of tools and media.
- Can demonstrate SBU values.
Aptitude and Abilities Essential
- Communication Skills Leadership Skills Strategic Skills Analytical Skills