Magdalen College is seeking a Bursar (effectively Chief Financial Officer) who will work with its Governing Body and President to supervise the management of its finances, oversee its investment strategy with the assistance of expert advisers, and help bring its ambitious plans and capital projects to fruition.
Magdalen is one of the most prominent colleges in Oxford, known for centuries for the distinction of its scholarship, its beauty, and its iconic Great Tower and deer park. More recently, it has acquired a reputation as a friendly, informal, and dynamic community, forward-looking, inclusive, and good-humoured.
Magdalen has over 600 students, around 75 Governing Body Fellows and 140 non-academic staff, as well as a broader community of more than 7,500 alumni across the globe. Magdalen is a choral foundation, and its choir is renowned internationally. In conjunction with the University, the College provides a world-class education through small-group teaching and academic supervision, and supports research of the highest international quality.
The College stands at a pivotal and exciting moment in its history. In 2021, it entered into a joint venture with GIC, to facilitate the development of its largest asset, the Oxford Science Park. The effect of this transaction has been significantly to increase the value of the College’s endowment, which now stands at over £650m. The endowment is managed to help the College deliver its academic and heritage missions. The College is in the early stages of implementing an ambitious 10 year strategic plan further to develop and enhance the College’s effectiveness as a world-class interdisciplinary academic community. The plans include the development of a number of new buildings.
The role requires someone who can balance the effective management of the day to day running of the College’s finance and HR functions with supervision of the College’s investments and the achievement of the goals in the strategic plan, working in close partnership with the President and Governing Body.
- Substantial experience of senior financial leadership and management experience gained in complex organisations
- A track record of property development and/or investment would be a distinct advantage.
- Sensitive to the nuances of the traditions of an existing governance and decision-making framework.
- Intellectually curious, with an energetic and positive approach to problem-solving.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Able to balance commitment to the bigger strategic picture with due attention to day-to-day priorities such as budgeting, the management of the bursary, risk management, safeguarding, and property maintenance
- A natural collaborator who will build strong relationships across functions, and with the President and Governing Body
- A team player who does not rely on hands-off delegation
- A person with an appreciation of the teaching and research and communal ethos of the College
This is an attractive and rare opportunity for a senior finance professional to take their career in a different and rewarding direction. As CFO/Bursar, you will receive a competitive remuneration package, play a full role in College life, and enjoy the same privileges as academic Fellows
For more information, please email email@example.com. Applications are invited at your earliest convenience, and in any event by no later than close of business on 12th October 2022.
Magdalen College is an Equal Opportunities Employer