Head of Programmes | Liverpool (Hybrid) | 12 month FTC | Up to GBP72K
Your new company
A public sector organisation.
Your new role
The Head of Programmes is responsible for management of the change programme through the provision and coordination of project management support and providing a single view of change. The Head of Programmes will have a comprehensive understanding of the change projects and will report to the Chief Operating Officer, Director's Group and Board on the progress of the change programme.
The post holder will work with the senior responsible officers and sponsors of projects to:
- Develop and drive forward the organisation's maturity in the change management space with the objective of taking the organisation to 'mature' by the end of 12-18 months
- Ensure that we have the skills that we need through a programme designed to increase the capability and knowledge of SROs and project managers so that they think beyond project/IT outputs to embedding project outcomes including change and behavioural shifts.
- Lead our portfolio of projects to ensure that our roadmap is joined up and holistic, with clear benefits identified, creating a single view of change and smoothing the impact across the year, avoiding all change landing at one time. This will include resource and financial planning as well as working closely with comms to articulate our change journey and progress to employees to secure their understanding and buy in. Our People Scores in Leadership & Managing Change will be a key measure in this area.
- Ensure that our roadmap is deliverable, holding others to account for meeting key milestones within budget and resource, challenging plans that are unrealistic or out of step with the wider change portfolio. Investment requirements and dependencies including people, finance, estates and IT requirements should be clearly set out at the beginning or projects and are monitored throughout the project life cycle, with any changes to requirements flagged and reassessed
- Providing regular updates to the COO and CEO/Board on progress in delivering the organisation's roadmap and change, providing an honest view of challenges, risk and benefit delivery so that a clear and holistic whole system change narrative connecting all change into one single, cohesive and deliverable change plan is established and visible to senior leaders and managers
- Role modelling and championing change and collaborative working will be critical and investing in the capability of others including the CMO team.
- Reviewing our approach to project management so that we have a system that works for us and is right fit, minimising bureaucracy whilst ensuring we have sufficient controls and accountability in place - this might mean consideration of an out-sourcing solution.
- Embedding continuous improvement into our approach, ensuring we learn and apply lessons from each project.
- Ensuring diversity and inclusion underpins all projects and change
What you'll need to succeed
- Excellent Leadership qualities and exceptional People and Stakeholder Management, with experience of establishing high performing teams through developing ability and creating an inclusive and collaborative culture which values diversity and encourages openness, approachability and sensitivity.
- The ability to assimilate information and translate it into a single joined up picture, identifying risks and dependencies coupled with resilience and the ability to deliver at pace, translating the business plan into deliverables and prioritising work accordingly.
- Experience of developing and creating systems and processes that are proven to enhance performance either from a quality, time or cost perspective, and of cost management within a portfolio/programme environment.
- Demonstrable experience of managing KPIs, monitoring performance, addressing poor performance and ensuring achievement of project objectives and outcomes. Establishing a 'cross portfolio' approach to best practice and readiness.
- The ability to make effective or difficult decisions - evaluating data from various sources to make well considered decisions and presenting reasonable conclusions to inform and/or influence Stakeholders in a sensitive political environment.
- Financial competence (including managing budgets to meet funding and operational targets)
- Extensive experience of programme management techniques - including key partner management
- Experience of influencing in a large, complex, Matrix environment often with significant amounts of ambiguity.
What you'll get in return
Flexible working options available.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.