The Planning Inspectorate deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications, examination of local plans and other planning and specialist casework in England and Wales. Read a note from the hiring manager...
The Planning Inspectorate has a long and proud history in ensuring a fair planning system by acting as the main appellate body for planning decisions in England and Wales. The judgements and decisions made by planning inspectors have a significant impact on the economy, people's lives and the communities in which they live and more than ever digital, data and technology is supporting our work to improve how we deliver our services.
We've embarked on an ambitious programme of business change supported by a complete refresh of the systems that support our core business services. We are re-designing and creating new services across all channels, supported by modern technology that's transforming the way in which we deliver services to both our internal and external users.
This is an unprecedented time for digital, data and technology specialists as the government harnesses the power of digital technologies, skills and tools to
transform public services on a national scale. There have never been more opportunities to work collectively and creatively as a profession to respond to the changing needs of millions of people, and deliver services that are simple and easy to use.
I am proud to work in the civil service where everyone can thrive and where diversity can flourish; a place that reflects the public we serve. The potential to shape our society's future is enormous at The Planning Inspectorate, whether it's through Local Plans approvals, about how developments in our communities are progressed, through to nationally significant infrastructure projects like Solar and Wind Farms or roads and railways, and the digital, data and technology profession that you will be a part of is delivering meaningful change for users; to do the work of transformation that makes government work better for everyone. So come and join me, influencing and shaping the future and working with wonderful people. You will be responsible for:
- Produce and deliver a prioritised, multi-year programme of systems development, which will continually improve the service delivered to our customers and fulfil key aspects of the customer strategy and strategic plan.
- As a key member of the Digital & Data Board ensure the Digital Operating Model is implemented effectively. This includes providing oversight and guidance for the engineering practices in the services.
- Assume technical responsibility for all the stages and iterations of software development. Provide technical advice to stakeholders and set the team-based standards for programming tools and techniques.
- Ensure policies, Standards and processes are maintained and applied regarding software and service development which ensure consistency irrespective of who is building the system or service. This role is also responsible for managing constraints on implementation and working with owners to develop mitigations.
Leadership and Team Management
- Responsible for ensuring that systems are integrated, coordinating build activities across systems, and understanding how to undertake and support integration testing activities.
- Develop a long-term approach to obtaining the necessary resources and skills for software/service development, balancing permanent resource, contractors and suppliers.
- Provide independent digital/engineering advice, support and challenge to the CDIO, Service Owners and Executive Team on the development and delivery of digital services and the digital strategy in general.
- Lead and manage the Service teams providing professional learning and development and support through coaching, mentoring and investing in personal development. Promote an environment and culture that ensures capability and capacity is built to meet the needs of the organisation.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Develop strong performance and change management within Digital teams and others are inspired and empowered to do the same. Demonstrate the importance of continuous improvement
- Role model Civil Service Leadership behaviours and actively participate in corporate leadership activities, ensuring corporate decisions are visibly supported, and managers are held to account to do the same.
- Develop and promote a growth mindset culture of inclusivity, coaching, mentoring and development within the team. Actively identify and develop talent within your team(s).
- Implement the digital elements of the Inspectorate's Digital and Data Strategy to improve the service to our customer and support the delivery of our Strategic plan.
- Ensure business objectives are met and an enhanced customer experience and value for money are achieved, considering stakeholders and customers when developing and supporting products and services.
- Develop effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders to support the delivery of the digital strategy and ensure alignment with the Inspectorate's strategic objectives.
- Align Strategic Workforce Planning to the People Strategy, L&D, Leadership Development, EDI and deliver the capacity and capability needed.
- Ensure the Digital budget (capital and running costs) is managed in line with spending controls
- Ensure that new projects are proactively agreed with Finance and digital technology elements are included in forecasts, tracking and reporting.
- Make decisions that are in the overall interest of the Inspectorate and the successful delivery of the strategic plan.
- Support corporate leadership groups, strategic project teams and change activities through active participation and communication to teams.
- Review and manage relevant risk management, contract management and business continuity procedures appropriately to ensure that delivery of service is assured.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory, statutory laws and regulations and the organisations policy and procedures regarding the management of personal and organisational data.
- Demonstrable and practical experience of working at a senior level, with senior colleagues to deliver digital services enabling business transformation, cost savings and service improvements for internal and external customers
- Experience of leading and developing Service teams to deliver service improvements including using prototyping, sharing best practice and coaching others. Ability to design and implement strategic service design end to end
- Experience negotiating with third-party suppliers from initial engagement through to management of live service
- Experience in availability and capacity management of service components ensuring they meet business needs and performance targets
- Experienced in digital programme and project management methods.
Government Digital Service supports Digital Data Recruitment for other government departments. For this role, you will be working with The Planning Inspectorate.
- Relevant degree, professional qualification
- Knowledge of the Government's Digital strategies and codes of practice
- Knowledge in information security with proven experience of designing and quality assuring solutions and services with security controls embedded.
- Experience of applying standards and methods, ensuring compliance, maintaining technical responsibility for all the stages and iterations of a software development project. This includes providing technical advice to stakeholders and set the team-based standards for programming tools and techniques.