Senior Manager (Diplomacy), Fixed Term Contract (End of 2024)
We are supporting an International Organisation compiled of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of the organisation are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
The team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.
The Governance, Political Strategy and Executive Director’s Office manages the day to day functioning of the Chair, Steering Committee, Board of Directors and Executive Director. The team is responsible for ensuring the direction from the Chair, Steering Committee, Board of Directors and Executive Director is operationalised, working alongside the Deputy Executive Director and wider Management Team.
This role will be a critical connection point between the organisation and the London Mayor’s Office. The post holder will coordinate all diplomacy related engagements for the Chair, all internal and external briefings to the Chair on international diplomacy, working closely with the mayor’s Diplomacy team. The Senior Manager for Diplomacy will ensure the Chair and his team are kept abreast of political intelligence and activities from across the global membership, identifying ways for the Chair and wider Vice Chair group to influence international diplomacy mechanisms to enhance support for city climate action.
- Develop a Chair’s diplomacy strategy, in coordination with the internal and Chair’s staff
- Draft and disseminate all internal and external briefings to the Chair and his staff on international diplomacy related matters.
- Coordinate all diplomacy related communications between the Chair’s staff and internal teams on a day to day basis.
- Ensure the Executive Director, Managing Director of Governance and wider Management team are briefed regularly on Chair related diplomacy activities.
- Ensure the delivery of the Chair’s priorities which relate to diplomacy activities.
- Work with the Head of Chair Communications, Managing Director of Regions and internal Communications and Events team to ensure that the internal communications output is aligned with the Chair’s diplomacy strategy and the wider Vice Chair Strategy.
- Work closely with the Head of Summit delivery to help coordinate diplomacy aspects of the 2022 Mayor’s Summit in Buenos Aires.
- Develop strong relationships with other city networks, and diplomatic actors such as the UN Secretary General’s Office, the UNFCCC etc.
- Significant experience in government, business or NGO sectors in the region with focus on policy development, inter-organizational cooperation, strategy and negotiation.
- Significant experience of working with or within municipal government, with senior officials and environmental teams and projects required, particularly in the specific geographic region.
- Bachelors and/or relevant Masters Degrees required.
- Ability to lead strategic discussions to help facilitate action-oriented approaches.
- Experience living and working in the region.
- Strong policy background in climate change or sustainability essential.
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent diplomatic skills.
- Ability to work as a team player and operate in a matrix environment.
- Resourceful, motivated, efficient, pro-active and customer service oriented.
- Ability to protect confidential and sensitive information of the organisation.
- Ability to perform and adapt under pressure.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and the demonstrated ability to effectively interface with senior level colleagues, both verbally and written.
- Ability and desire to build and maintain strong relationships with the internal team and applicable internal and external contacts.