Head of Chair’s Communications/ Press Secretary, Fixed Term Contract (End of 2024)
We are supporting an International Organisation compiled of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of the organisation are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
The team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.
The Governance, Political Strategy and Executive Director’s Office manages the day to day functioning of the Chair, Steering Committee, Board of Directors and Executive Director. The team is responsible for ensuring the direction from the Chair, Steering Committee, Board of Directors and Executive Director is operationalised, working alongside the Deputy Executive Director and wider Management Team.
The Press Secretary to the Chair will lead on all elements of external communications for the Chair, from identifying and executing on opportunities to elevate the voice and profile of the Chair, to developing key messages and talking points, press releases, op-eds, video scripts and other creative content. This person will play a critical role within the Governance and Communications Teams, in order to showcase the climate leadership of the Chair locally, nationally and internationally through exciting and high-quality communications and campaigns. Our ideal candidate will be innovative, a self-starter and collaborative, with a solid track record of writing and creating innovative content and delivering high-profile media coverage across a variety of platforms, including for major events. The Press Secretary for the Chair will sit in the Governance or Communications and Events team, with a dotted line to the Mayor’s Communications Office in London.
- Lead on identifying proactive and reactive opportunities to further the reach and influence of the Chair, Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, raising his profile as a climate leader locally, nationally and globally, and showcasing the positive impact of his work as Chair and as Mayor of London. This includes developing and executing the Chair’s media strategy
- In close coordination with the Mayor’s Office, and the Office of the Chair, identify and deliver on the Chair’s communications priorities, ensuring they are closely aligned with the overall Communications and Events strategy, the organisations communications strategy for the UK, and the Mayor’s Office’s communications strategy.
- Represent Communications and be the main point of contact with the Mayor’s Office staff and the Office of the Chair, ensuring a steady flow of information between London and the Communications team, the Executive Director’s Office and Europe Regional Team; secure approvals and sign offs, and advise on crisis communications related to the Chair. Ensure a structure is in place for information flow across teams, leading on implementation and execution.
- Develop, review and get approval/sign off for various pieces of content
o Write op-eds, quotes and talking points
o Draft and issue press releases, pitch stories and coordinate media interviews.
o Respond to media inquiries and requests for comment from the Chair, the Mayor’s Office and organisation.
o Draft comprehensive briefing materials, talking points, speeches, correspondence and other written materials, and ensure the Chair and members of his staff are well prepared ahead of media interviews.
o Draft scripts and creative briefings for videos and other multimedia content related to the Chair for distribution on the organisations and the City of London’s social media platforms.
- Grow and maintain good relationships with key influential journalists.
- Help develop partnerships with London-based advocacy and media organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree with significant experience in creating and delivering highly impactful communications, content and campaigns, generating high-profile media coverage and innovative content across a variety of platforms.
- Outstanding writing and editorial skills, and an ability to express complex, abstract ideas to a variety of audiences in an accessible and engaging way.
- Speech-writing experience for an elected official or senior leader of a global organization, and experience briefing elected officials or senior spokespeople for media interviews, speeches, social media content and other public engagements.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of media relations, including crisis communications; experience securing media coverage for complex issues.
- Strong contacts with a range of media, especially on environmental/climate beat.
- Experience managing and maintaining partnerships with key individuals, funders and/or organizations and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
- Experience managing media at major high-profile international events, including staffing press rooms and organizing and delivering press conferences.
- Experience working with digital communications and social media.
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously and remain focused in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Be passionate about the work and mission; subject-matter knowledge or expertise in the climate sector preferred.
- Excellent team player and collaborator with strong relationship management and ambassadorial skills.