Head of Sustainable Investment, Fixed Term Contract (End of 2024)
We are supporting an International Organisation compiled of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of the organisation are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
The team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.
In partnership with London and New York City, convenes the Divest/Invest Forum to help urban leaders divest from fossil fuels and accelerate green investment. The Forum supports cities in learning from each other and share their experiences. It provides a space to allow cities to explore what Divest/Invest means in practice, what options they can consider, discuss approaches to overcoming associated challenges, and explore ways cities can work together with their pension funds.
17 cities including some of world’s financial capitals have signed the organisation’s Divesting from Fossil Fuels, Investing in a Sustainable Future Declaration, which commits cities to divesting financial assets from fossil fuel companies and championing investments in the green economy whenever possible.
The Forum is kindly supported by Wallace Global Fund and the Climate Change Collaboration - an initiative of Ashden Trust, Mark Leonard Trust, and JJ Charitable Trust - and Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
Head of Sustainable Investment
We are looking for a dynamic, motivated, self-starter to lead the Strategic evolution of the Divest/Invest Forum. The Head of Sustainable Investment will be responsible for envisioning, planning and implementing the integration of Divest/Invest into the origination’s great finance work and developing new guidance and technical assistance to support cities design and implement novel financial mechanisms to increase investment in climate solutions working closely with cities in the Forum to meet city expectations and requirements.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead development and execution of the sustainable investment strategy, focusing on institutional investing developing technical assistance and support cities signed onto the declaration.
- Support the advocacy of co-lead cities, presenting cities as global champions of divestment and investment in all sectors and levels of governance. Work with forum cities to develop strategies to expand and integrate divest/invest in all city finance activities, including budgeting, procurement, pension funds, asset management and investments.
- Engage wider cities to understand the importance of divestment and investment and how to address the challenges and move forward to decarbonise their portfolios in line with their 1.5 degree target, adaptation goals and socio-economic priorities.
- Oversee the development and delivery of a programme of activities of city-city interactions: workshops, webinars and external events and partnerships
- Working closely with the City Finance Director to help cities divest and invest to achieve their 1.5 degree targets through the decarbonisation of their investment portfolio and developing new sustainable investment opportunities in cities.
- Work with the Communications Director to extend the divestment actions and develop the narrative and campaign for sustainable investment opportunities in cities.
- Manage staff to ensure the ongoing success of the Divest/Invest Forum
- Oversee the development of content, event planning, facilitation and delivery, the creation of communications deliverables to disseminate key successes and best practices
- Engage strategic partners who can help deliver support and provide valuable resources to help cities in this area.
- Oversee and manage specialised research focused on specific divestment and investment topics.
- Regular liaison with the programme funders and lead cities
- Coordination of governance and reporting, including writing and preparing progress reports and annual reports.
- Passionate about the mission and with a strong interest in divestment from fossil fuels and investment in climate solutions;
- Experience working with cities, insurance companies, pension funds, infrastructure investors, and/or relevant NGOs on sustainable investing, with a strong understanding challenges and approaches of aligning low carbon portfolios;
- Proven track record in working collaboratively and effectively with partners, such as city governments, financial institutions, NGOs, international organisations and the private sector on complex finance solutions;
- Highly developed management experience and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks and strong problem-solving, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities;
- Outstanding interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills, as well as experience in developing and facilitating webinars and workshops, writing reports and delivering high level presentations;
- International experience
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level, with preference for candidates holding a master’s degree in subjects such as finance, business, public administration, environmental policy, sustainability policy, or a related field.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Some international travel may be required.