Workforce Category Director
Workforce Category Director
NHS London Procurement Partnership
Deputy Managing Director
Workforce stream with team of 5x Category Experts
200 Great Dover Street, London
Up to £110k (Permanent contract)
Working from home options and/or condensed hours
NHS London Procurement Partnership (NHS LPP) is an NHS-led membership organisation and national consultancy partner for the NHS and other public sector organisations. Serving the health community in London for over fifteen years, we strive to achieve better patient care through efficient and sustainable procurement practices, delivering the services that help hospitals to run efficiently including workforce, digital systems, medicines, estates and facilities. Our strategic connections, expertise and market reach mean we’re uniquely placed to do this. We support our member trusts to make sustainable decisions that help keep our money in the NHS and invested where it matters - on our valuable frontline staff, services and most importantly, patients.
Insight Executive Group is delighted to have partnered with NHS London Procurement Partnership (NHS LPP) to source a Category Director with deep expertise across HR and broader workforce spend.
This senior role is pivotal in implementing the NHS LPP vision & strategy to become a world class commercial and business transformation partner of choice for the NHS and the wider public sector. It comes with high expectations and is a demanding, high profile and influential position.
A key purpose of the role will be to lead and develop the workforce stream to develop 3–5-year plans that anticipate as well as respond to external challenges to help both NHS LPP and members achieve their financial targets.
Reporting to the Deputy Managing Director, the postholder will work alongside external operational teams as well as board level management, providing strategic procurement workforce expertise to drive savings as well as revenue generation activity. The category strategies recommended by the post holder will be instrumental in maximising the uptake to NHS LPP contracts, attracting new customers and in driving savings to meet NHS LPP Steering Board targets.
The postholder will need to have significant senior commercial experience within a public or private sector business across multiple sites and be able to demonstrate expert technical workforce procurement and deep category management skills.
Job Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and develop the commercial strategic direction of the Workforce workstream in order to implement the NHS LPP strategy and vision.
- With an operating budget of c. £500k, the postholder will lead a team of 5 category experts managing a customer spend of c. £500m, influence a national Workforce Alliance spend of c. £1.5bn, and be tasked with growing the NHS LPP customer base and resulting managed spend by circa 10% year-on-year.
- Lead and develop a Category Management methodology across the Workforce workstream in order to produce ambitious 3 – 5 year category strategies and plans that anticipate as well as respond to external challenges at a regional and national level to help both NHS LPP and members achieve their financial targets.
- Analyse and critically appraise data in order to identify major areas for cost savings and process improvements, to produce Workforce category strategies / plans for submission to the Managing Director / Steering Board.
- Lead the Workforce team to deliver the key components of the category management methodology in the production of best-in-class category strategies and plans, namely: determine business requirements, overview of current contracts, spend analysis & market analysis.
- Lead a move away from NHS LPP primarily producing Workforce framework agreements in favour of other types of commercial arrangements, such as commitment contracts.
- Support NHS LPP members in the delivery of large and complex workforce contracts.
- Enhance NHS LPPs service offering regionally and nationally by working with national Government bodies to develop procurement strategies and solutions that are suitable for the wider public sector so that they can provide category expertise to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with the other NHS procurement hubs and the Crown Commercial Service as part of the Workforce Alliance, acting as a key strategic link/lead for all Workforce workstream customers’ organisations.
- Lead on relationships with HR Directors, Chief Nurses, Finance Directors, Chief Procurement Officers, etc. to develop strong networks and providing strategic input into key projects where required.
- Significant procurement experience, including expert technical Workforce procurement and deep category management skills.
- Senior management responsibility at complex organisations with stakeholders and procurement teams operating across multiple sites.
- Outstanding client management skills especially presence, communication, influencing.
and relationship building.
- Strong team leadership skills, including developing, training, mentoring and inspiring staff.
- Financial and budgetary management experience.
- Expert knowledge of best-in-class procurement and category management practices.
- Able to develop and gain agreement on new methods of operation where peer group may have alternative views.
- Key high level direct negotiation and influencer when handling very high value/critical or higher risk projects.
- Previous operational HR management experience would be a considerable advantage
- Expert knowledge of public procurement legislation and regulations.
- MBA and/or MCIPS