Independent Non-Executive Director and Remuneration Committee Chair
The UK Infrastructure Bank (UKIB) is the new, government-owned policy bank, focused on increasing infrastructure investment across the United Kingdom. A vitally important institution, UKIB will partner with the private sector and local government to finance infrastructure development to help the UK government to create a net zero economy and drive local and regional economic growth. The bank is headquartered in Leeds, and will operate UK-wide, supporting projects in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
A key first step is the recruitment of four independent non-executives to join the new board, two of which to be Chair of the Audit & Risk Committee and Chair of the Remuneration Committee. This advert is for the Remuneration Committee Chair, the other roles are advertised separately.
The appointed individuals will be expected to support the establishment of the bank and governance of this new institution, through:
- Recruitment and development of the senior leadership team and establishment of the appropriate governance and board processes.
- Contributing to setting, monitoring and challenging the strategic direction of the bank, by engaging with key stakeholders, assisting in developing key strategic objectives and challenging the on-going appropriateness of those objectives.
- Promoting the long-term success and ensuring the accountability of the bank. By supporting and scrutinising the effectiveness of the bank and executive in meeting agreed goals, objectives and the mandate of the institution and reporting performance.
The Remuneration Committee Chair, working with the Board Chair, will ensure the board committee is properly structured and appropriate remuneration polices and principles are established, monitored and regularly evaluated. They will set the agenda and manage the business of the committee to provide focus and ensure sound governance.
The required experience and personal qualities include:
- Experience and extensive knowledge of one or more of: infrastructure finance and investment - from either a banking or principal perspective; economic development; or environmental and social policy and impact investment.
- Experience of making a full and effective contribution to the success and good governance of similar high-profile organisations.
- A track record of shaping the strategic vision in high-profile organisations, in commercial or financial business leadership, economic development or environmental policy making and impact assessment
- For the Remuneration Committee Chair, experience of serving on a remuneration committee as a non-executive director or equivalent experience, as well as knowledge of establishing remuneration policy in financial institutions or similar businesses. An understanding of remuneration in the public sector context would be desirable.
Inclusion will be at the heart of what UKIB does. Diversity in the bank’s people and their ideas will be vital to the bank’s success. Appointments will be made on merit, with regard to maintaining the breadth of experience and expertise required and reflecting diversity in the broadest sense, to embrace different perspectives, characteristics and lived experience, as well as being broadly representative of the nations and regions of the UK.
Please apply through UKIB’s recruitment partner Odgers Berndtson at: www.odgers.com/84549
Closing date: 16/12/2021