Diamorph - Business Unit Managing Director
Diamorph is a PE-backed, UK-headquartered, fast-growth, global, advanced material solutions manufacturer and distributor. In March 2019 Epiris LLP (‘Epiris’) completed an acquisition of Diamorph, backing Gordon MacLeman as CEO in a MBO. Diamorph’s continued growth journey is also supported by its experienced and highly successful private equity Chairman.
Please note that all candidates must include current residential address and details of full current/recent remuneration package in order to be considered.
Diamorph has an unparalleled ability to combine materials to create optimal technical performance for its customers’ applications, and with in-house production is successful at fabricating components from complex materials to precise measurements, with a heavy focus on R&D.
The Group has three key focus areas: Fire Protection, Wear Components and High Temperature Solutions. Each of these businesses share industry-leading margins, with a diverse product portfolio of niche applications spread across a variety of different industries and geographies. Following recent acquisitions, the Group run rate revenue is c£70-75m.
We are recruiting for an MD to lead the Wear Components division. Wear Components is currently achieving a run rate revenue c£35 - 40m and is expected to contribute almost 45-50 % of the group revenue in FY2023.
Operations are primarily conducted at the Group’s production facilities located in Gloucester.
The Wear Components business has the largest and most diverse product portfolio within the Group. The largest product material group is composite laminate, however the group also supplies polymer and cermet based wear protection materials. The Wear Components division manufactures and supplies engineered products that provide wear and impact protection within multiple applications and markets including rail, marine, defence, aerospace, electrical insulation, pumps and valves and mining amongst many others. The business has long-standing relationships with its customers and a very low level of churn.
Diamorph is seeking to appoint a driven, energetic and highly entrepreneurial commercial leader, with a proven track record of growing sales, to lead its Wear Components business as Managing Director, preferably located in daily commutable distance from the site in Gloucester.
This is an exciting opportunity for a growth-orientated commercially driven leader to head up a global business unit that is highly profitable (>25% return on sales) and fast-growing (c.15% p.a.) with a broad portfolio of materials, a diverse set of markets and annual sales of >£30m.
The candidate must be a strategic thinker, able to pick up and run with an established business, integrate acquisitions and build a successful but simple and executable strategy with diverse routes to market. This strategy will include market analysis and entry, NPD and multi-channel sales (e.g. specifiers, OEM’s, agents and distributors).
Smart, energetic and hungry to succeed, the Wear Components MD will also be capable of leading market analysis and creating a clear and coherent roadmap for developing the product portfolio as well as a strategy for managing and optimising route-to-market options and identifying strategic acquisition. In addition, they should be capable of hitting the ground running by virtue of their knowledge of at least some of the Wear Components business’s key sectors in the engineering components marketplace.
Ideally, the candidate will have 5+ years previous experience as an MD or GM although exceptional ‘step up’ candidates with the requisite commercial background, gravitas, credibility and attitude will be considered.
Working with Diamorph’s leadership, Chairman and financial sponsor, the Managing Director for Wear Components will be responsible for:
- Developing and delivering an exceptional five-year commercial strategy to ensure the business is best placed to exceed revenue and EBITDA targets;
- Leading strategic M&A activities to ensure the business continues to enhance or add to its core service capabilities;
- Market knowledge and trend tracking;
- Influencing key new and existing client relationships;
- Leading, motivating, retaining and attracting the best-in-class team;
- Full responsibility for P&L and profitable growth of the Wear Components business unit;
- Driving the Wear Components strategic agenda in terms of products, routes to market and product development in the UK, Europe and US.
- Experience of leading successful commercial functions within B2B engineering or industrial components of an analogous size, scale and complexity;
- Ability to develop relationships and influence multiple situations and stakeholders simultaneously;
- Natural leadership, with the gravitas to be able to motivate and inspire others to achieve targets whilst recognising when a more hands-on approach is required and teams need to be built or strengthened;
- Exceptional commercial awareness and client-facing skills;
- Successful track record in delivering commercial and financial targets;
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders at an executive level;
- Analytical thinking.
Whilst there is a preference for candidates who can be in the Gloucester area five days per week, candidates based in the north west will also be considered if they are prepared to part-weekly commute two to three nights per week and work the balance of the week from Diamorph HQ in Manchester.