CTO (Strategy, Architecture and Planning)
The Houses of Parliament are home to the very heart of the United Kingdom’s democracy and government. With a rich history spanning centuries, most of today’s Palace of Westminster was built after the great fire of 1834. The Houses of Parliament are now in need of total restoration and renewal, which will cover the buildings themselves and the vast array of complex utilities. The Delivery Authority is engaging teams of architects, designers, engineers, project managers and contractors on the biggest and most complex renovation of a heritage building ever undertaken in the UK.
As part of the Restoration & Renewal Authority’s ambitions for world class digital and technology services in this vast and complex programme, a new permanent technology leadership team is required to ensure that the vision, strategy and approach to technology and information services is delivered.
To be successful in this position, you will be an experienced senior leader with skills gained in large scale environments of real complexity. You will be experienced in the development and leadership of teams aligned to world class technology services, and be an engaging and inspiring leader. You will be attracted to the authority, the House of Parliament and its purpose to the country. Expert in stakeholder engagement and partnering in a large scale and complex organisational structure, your track record will be to have delivered exceptional results by working with others, and to have developed your team for enduring success.
To lead the creation of the R&R Digital and Data strategy, the enterprise architecture that enables its implementation, and the strategic portfolio plan that aligns delivery of business needs within agreed timescales and available funding.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain 2035 vision for the data and digital outcome at the conclusion of R&R Phase 3.
- Own and continuously develop the three-year D&D change portfolio, aligned with and in support of R&R organisational priorities.
- Develop the R&R change and IT strategy, supporting the R&R mission and business outcomes
- Deliver an Exco approved annual refresh of the R&R Change & IT Strategy.
- Measure the effectiveness of the R&R Change & IT Strategy through establishing and managing a strategic scorecard, drive continuous improvement through refinements of the measures an ongoing basis.
- Govern strategic initiatives to ensure they continue to meet strategic outcomes within the expected timeframes, and intervene where required to address any shortfalls.
- Work proactively, anticipating the needs of customers across R&R, bringing innovation to the for creating consistent approaches across D&D, and the wider R&R as applicable.
- Lead on the governance of the investment process (including strategic business cases) and wider accountability to R&R.
- Lead creation of enterprise architecture, founded on creation of a single logical Datastore including digital twin capability. Ensure architecture can support services for the programme, “intelligent services” to support built asset management, and corporate services.
- Develop the enterprise and technology architecture, to include business capabilities, processes, information, data, applications infrastructure, to enable D&D to proactively and efficiently deliver the R&R mission and outcomes.
- Establish enterprise architecture technology standards and policies for R&R, and govern implementation, intervening where required to collaboratively address any shortfalls.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the business delivery leads and product groups to ensure their activities align with and deliver the agreed enterprise technology architecture and change portfolio agendas. This also includes proactively supporting the management of investment proposals and portfolio propositions.
- Be accountable for effective portfolio management in D&D, including pipeline management, prioritisation and planning.
- Be accountable for ensuring achievement of a comprehensive portfolio that delivers the R&R priorities and appropriately considers and balances the needs of all stakeholder groups.
- Ensure the portfolio has classified risks and dependencies across D&D and wider R&R with clear plans for actively managing these.
- Lead on and be accountable for ensuring effective forecasting development of departmental and D&D future resource and capability needs to effectively meet the demands of the portfolio.
D&D leadership and broader development
- Make an effective and appropriate contribution to developing the D&D SLT to become a highly effective team.
- Ability to develop staff including coaching, mentoring and performance management
- Be a leadership role model for D&D. Actively lead on the development of the target culture and supporting behaviours to help deliver a highly capable and effective D&D organisation.
- Actively contribute to the success of D&D as a whole, effectively optimising the balance between delivery of departmental needs and those of the wider R&R, working collaboratively with other D&D SLT members.
- Develop and manage an active programme of communications about the Department to raise wider D&D awareness of its role and contribution to the success of R&R.
- Determine the means (standards and guidance) to process data as defined by appropriate legislation
- Ensure D&D plans reflect the investment and ongoing support IT system controls and contingencies to meet R&R’s control standards
- Define standards and guidance, in accordance with CISO policy, to enable product groups to implement the standards and guidance to protect and maintain the R&R’s information systems.
- Fulfil the duties of a Head of Department of information assets and staff within their department.
- Deliver all the departmental responsibilities within the agreed budget and headcount, in a way that represents value for money for R&R.
Communities of practice
- Establish and manage the new technology architecture community of practice, and practices within the community. This should include driving the development, maintenance and continuous improvement of the methodologies, standards, policies and artefacts for those practices.
- Establish and continuously develop provision of access to education and training opportunities in the workplace, through outside organisations, or through mentoring in role to develop the capability of community members.
- Manage resource allocation of members within practices to ensure the right mix of skills and experience are allocated to positions, as well as offering career opportunities within and across the practices.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- In-depth understanding of the potential of information/digital/data technologies (in both business and IT terms), and the issues vault in their adoption.
- Extensive experience of developing and implementing enterprise architecture
- Strong knowledge of the cloud services marketplace.
- Identification and successful deployment of new IT technologies and develop processes in a medium to large IT organisation.
- Strong business acumen
- Experience in contributing to digital business strategy
- Managing supplier relationships negotiation with suppliers
- Business capability modelling and customer journey mapping
This position comes with a highly competitive salary package with bonus and excellent benefits.
This is a rare opportunity for the right person to join an environment of purpose that will be recognised for generations.
We particularly welcome female applicants and those from an ethnic minority, as they are under-represented within at this level.
Visit our dedicated microsite for more information - www.harveynash.co.uk/restorationandrenewal.