Head of Java Development
Head of Java Development
Global Digital Marketing and Advertising
GBP90,000 - GBP110,000
London - Remote Working
No Sponsorship or Visa Offered
The Company: Head of Java Development
My client has a Global Digital agency with a 20-year creative heritage stretches all the way back to the pioneers of modern advertising and connects us to one of the world's largest creative networks.
The Role: Head of Java Development
The purpose of this role is to lead a team of Java developers, ensuring flawless on-time delivery with high quality Java code. You are expected to lead by example, providing development support, oversight and leadership of multiple project teams. The role has ultimate responsibility for implementing processes, communicating and enforcing Java standards and quality across the team.
In addition you need to provide mentorship and leadership to your direct reports inspiring the best work from each of them. You will shape the future of the Java platform and are expected to lead towards new technologies when appropriate and suitable for the business. The role will work continually with other disciplines including DevOps, Mobile, Front End and QA to ensure projects are approached holistically.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative and proactive team player, a confident communicator that is equally comfortable in front of clients and our internal colleagues. Vitally you will have a passion for technology, innovation, and ever evolving software design and development principles.
Key responsibilities: Head of Java Development
- Oversight and management of a talented team of Java developers
- When required being a hands-on Lead developer to help shape and deliver our solutions
- Collaborate with the other Heads to continually review and improve our development processes to ensure quality and consistency for each project
- Ensuring Java estimates produced by the team for each project are rigorous and accurate
- Point of escalation and resolution for project delivery issues for development team and clients
- Collaborate on the technical decisions for each project with Technical Architects and Lead Developers
- Collaborate with project management team Lead Developers to manage the work flow and ensure appropriate team members are allocated to projects
- Ensure the team adhere to the highest quality:
- Coding standards
- Project scoping/estimates
- Risk management
- Technical deployments
- Technical standards and processes
- Build strong relationships with any 3rd party Java suppliers to ensure quality and timely delivery
- Lead and motivate a team of highly competent Java developers - ensuring reviews, training, feedback, etc. is completed across the team
- Assist in the creation of project proposals and pitch materials, and presenting them when required to do so
- Working closely with the CTO and other Heads of to ensure we are forward-thinking and continuously looking to improve our ways of working to become more efficient and effective.
Technical Skills: Head of Java Development
A candidate for this role will be an existing Head of Back End Development or Lead Java developer (with at least 7+ year's commercial development experience) who has experience overseeing a team working across multiple concurrent work streams.
- Proven track record of lead development experience working on IT projects of high complexity
- Management, oversight, and mentoring of remote development team members
- Able to motivate a team, recognise good talent and bring out the best out of each individual.
- Excellent knowledge of Internet, J2EE and Web technologies including popular Open Source frameworks and tools
- Experience with Java based CMS/DXP platforms such as Jahia and AEM is highly desirable
- Ability to analyse, profile and refactor code and processes to improve quality and performance
- Solid experience of working in a Java Enterprise/Web environment
- Excellent working knowledge of database technologies ie: MongoDB, MySQL
- Proven experience of common development tools (eg IntelliJ/Eclipse, Gradle/Maven, git, Jenkins, docker)
- Experience with modern CI/CD work flows using tools such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Linux based systems and associated tools (eg RedHat, CentOS)
- Strong understanding of common development best practices and (eg TDD, Agile, XP)
- Extensive hands on Spring/Hibernate experience
- Ability to quickly understand and code for a large, complex technical architecture
- Experience of developing and deploying large web based applications
- Experience of managing and coding simultaneous projects with complex interdependencies
- Understanding of the project management processes involved in website/portal development
- Ability to multitask across projects and demonstrate flexibility to changing priorities
- Experience of scoping large technical projects with a high level of accuracy
- Experience using task management tools such as Trac, Jira.
How to Apply: Head of Java Development
Simply attach your most recent resume by following the APPLY link. All applications/expressions of interest are treated as confidential and no resumes will be forwarded to our client without prior written candidate approval.
To find out more about Huxley, please visit our website.
Huxley, a trading division of SThree Partnership LLP is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy