Head of ECB Data Office
Type of contract Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after five years subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply? EU nationals
Salary I (1) (minimum full time monthly net salary €7,485 and benefits, see further information section)
Role specialisation Leadership
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 23.05.2021
You will be heading the newly created ECB Data Office within the Directorate General Statistics.
As a cross-business area function, the Data Office is a central part of the ECB’s corporate data management function, which promotes an institution-wide data management and governance framework. The purpose of the Data Office is to provide a single and sustainable user experience when working with data that are available across the institution. This involves making sure not only that data are managed in an integrated way and enable end-to-end digitalised, scalable and reproducible advanced analytics, but also that they are handled and collected efficiently, avoiding the duplication of data and ensuring a systematic closing of data gaps.
As Head of the ECB Data Office you will report directly to the Director General Statistics, who is also the Chief Data Officer. You will also contribute to the Data Committee, which is chaired by the Chief Data Officer and consists of area heads across data intensive business areas. The Data Committee’s main purpose is to ensure that the ECB as a whole manages data as a strategic asset, thereby maximising their usability and availability. In addition, you will chair the ECB Data Steward Group, which comprises data management experts from a large number of ECB business areas and supports the work of the Data Committee.
The Directorate General Statistics has around 350 staff members who provide statistical products and services, as well as a whole range of aggregated and disaggregated data, to inform not only central banking and banking supervision policy decisions, but also the public at large, in close collaboration with the European System of Central Banks (ESCB), national competent authorities, Eurostat, the banking industry and other international bodies.
You would be joining the Directorate General at a very interesting and challenging time, as we are working on modernising the data culture of the ECB, ESCB and ECB Banking Supervision, improving its fitness for a digital and globalised world in a period of rapid financial innovation.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to shape the newly established ECB Data Office and be involved in the provision of policy advice and in key projects for the Directorate General and the ECB as a whole. You will be heading a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
As Head of the ECB Data Office you will:
- assist in setting up the Data Office and determining its strategic priorities in collaboration with the senior management of the Directorate General Statistics;
- lead a team of around ten experts;
- manage resource planning, staff issues (e.g. development, performance, output) and the longer-term direction of work within your area of responsibility;
- chair the Data Steward Group and contribute to the Data Committee;
- play a key strategic role in the ECB’s data management, promoting a common framework, further standardisation and the coordination of best practices;
- communicate and collaborate with various stakeholders, both internally and externally, and dovetail different opinions into a workable solution.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree or equivalent in economics, statistics, data science or another related field (click here for details on degree equivalences);
- in addition to the above, a minimum of five years’ experience in data management/data office-related topics within the banking industry at the national or international level, a body regulating the banking industry, a standard-setting body or an international statistical organisation;
- a minimum of three years’ experience of leading a team in a multicultural and multilingual environment;
- excellent strategic thinking skills;
- professional experience in project management and change management;
- excellent communication, facilitation and stakeholder management skills;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- familiarity with the tasks and functions of a central bank, as well as knowledge of the working methods of the Eurosystem, the ESCB and other EU institutions.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and can draw on the strengths of a diverse team to get the best results. You support the efforts of team members to develop their abilities and are able to build up high-performing teams. You continuously take action to add value for the stakeholders. You facilitate change and can articulate strategic priorities and scenarios for your team.
You are motivated to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.
We are willing to discuss part-time arrangements.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to Björn Fischer, Senior Adviser in the Directorate General Statistics. To arrange an appointment, please send an email to email@example.com.
Application and selection process
Interested? Click on the 'Apply' button.
The recruitment process for this position will be conducted remotely. It will include an interview in the pre-selection phase and – if you are invited to participate in the subsequent selection phase – a presentation, a written exercise and interviews.
The selection procedure will also include a separate assessment of your leadership competencies.