We’re looking for a finance director to drive the future success, financial health and reputation of our Co-op Food, Funeralcare, Insurance and Legal Services businesses.
This is an opportunity to help lead an £11bn turnover organisation with a clear social purpose. Our vision is to ‘co-operate for a fairer world’. And we can only realise this ambition with strong financial stewardship, as well as a clear commitment to building inclusive teams which reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
In this role you’ll lead and develop our newly established ‘One Co-op’ finance team. We’ve built a collaborative, agile and centralised finance function – restructured to suit the needs of all our business units. We’ll look to you to embed this change and create an inclusive, high performing culture where finance colleagues can add commercial value for Co-op leaders across our Food, Funeralcare, Insurance and Legal Services businesses.
To be successful you’ll need to be highly technically proficient, and capable of building positive relationships off the back of challenging conversations with internal and external partners.
What you’ll do
• lead, develop and motivate the finance team and build a strong culture of inclusion and continuous improvement
• make sure Board, banking and financing, audit and other external relationships are managed effectively
• lead business partnering activity, working with CEOs and MDs to drive strategic and commercial agendas
• further develop and embed a governance and control framework that supports the business and allows growth within strategic and operational parameters
• work with senior teams to grow our businesses – building strategies and plans with a centralised ‘One Co-op’ approach
• help us evolve our Co-op culture, strategy and values and make sure finance supports and enables the business as a whole
• lead the delivery of large change projects and financial systems implementation
• lead budgeting and forecasting processes and the formulation of annual budgets and targets
• lead the overall cash and working capital management including cash flow forecasting and working with business to optimise working capital
• lead the treasury and tax strategy and compliance, and make sure the regulatory requirements of all relevant statutory bodies are met
This role would suit people with
• a professional accountancy qualification, and a proven track record of delivering exceptional financial leadership in a comparably large and complex organisation
• experience working in a Group finance role with oversight across multiple business units, ideally operating in different markets
• an affinity with our co-operative values, and an evangelistic approach to promoting and creating diverse and inclusive teams
• a personal style that allows you to build credibility and trust with exec colleagues, and the confidence to say ‘no’ to those people when it’s the right thing to do
• the ability to partner effectively with business leaders at a strategic level, and support them in the planning and delivery of their P&L
• experience of leading, delivering and embedding transformational change
• an executive benefits package including car (or allowance), annual incentive scheme, private health cover, pension and exceptional holiday entitlement
• an opportunity to make a very visible contribution to the success of our Co-op businesses, and the realisation of our community purpose
• significant influence on business strategy as a key partner to Co-op business leaders and the exec
• the chance to lead and unleash the potential of a gifted and committed Co-op finance team
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We seek to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
You can find out more about our commitments to racial equality and inclusion at colleagues.coop.co.uk/co-ops-commitment-to-racial-equality-and-inclusion.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
Our teams are currently working remotely due to Coronavirus restrictions. In the future it’s likely we’ll work more flexibly, splitting our time between our homes and the office.