Design Manager invited to join a Tier 1 contractor and lead on the early pre-development stages, in particular the design aspect of Projects through the work winning, pre-construction and delivery phases.
Leading Tier 1 contractor, operating nationally across a myriad of sectors. As a business, they have invested in and relaunched a new people strategy to increase collaboration, innovation, diversity and inclusion. They are proudly at the forefront of the industry, adopting and progressing new ways of working including MMC and Technology.
Key purpose of this role is to ensure the coordination and collation of information at predevelopment stages, leading into delivery. You will manage external design consultants and provide technical support to the operational delivery and work winning teams to ensure that cost effective, low risk, and safe design solutions are delivered. Duties:
- Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer, looking at safety, sustainability, quality and commercial viability.
- Be responsible for the technical approvals process ensuring that all necessary consents and approvals are in place to enable procurement and construction to be undertaken in accordance with the contract programme.
- Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables and manage this with the design consultant.
- Lead the development and implementation of the project BIM strategy.
- Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other Design/Work Winning team members as required.
- Collaborate with the client and technical approval authority, liaising with all statutory bodies/authorities as required - such as town planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water.
- Lead the implementation of the BIM CSUK protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models.
- Proactively contribute to the Risk and Value Management process.
This role requires an individual with proven experience as a Contractors Design Manager. The ideal candidate would have significant on site construction experience, ideally within highways (essential) and transport (A variety project disciplines would be desirable).
Experience of undertaking design (possibly as a secondment) is desirable but more important is the experience of successfully managing external design consultants to deliver a suitable, cost effective, safe design.
Knowledge of various contracts is desirable, in particular NEC.
You will be working for a leading contractor with a healthy pipeline of work. Your starting salary will be competitive and commensurate with your experience. There will be a company car/cash equivalent and bonus.