The Technology Programmes team is circa 130 people and consists of the Head of Technology Programmes, Senior Programme Managers, Programme Managers, Senior Project Managers, Project Managers and Associate Project Managers. In addition, there is an embedded project controls team which provides guidance and conducts assurance activities.
Our Programme Managers are accountable for mobilising the delivery of newly initiated projects and building the delivery team, starting with assigning a project manager. You will be accountable for the successful and efficient project management of the project (and programme as a whole) from start to completion and are accountable for the quality of the work produced by the project managers you assign to your programme. In addition, you will work with stakeholders to understand the likely pipeline of work and ensure that you are planning to resource them effectively within your programme.
T&D Technology Programmes has a growing pipeline of complex projects and programmes that need careful management and leadership at programme level. Successful applicants will need to be proactive and take accountability and ownership for their programme areas; Programme Managers report to a Senior Programme Manager, but you will be autonomous in your day-to-day work in relation to your assigned programme(s). You will work directly with stakeholders to shape new projects and programmes, act to secure and assign project management resources from the wider Technology Programmes team, resolve issues escalated to you from your team or stakeholders and provide guidance to and coach your team. You will take full ownership of your programme, including finances, and you will use your experience and insight to proactively identify potential issues and ensure they are being planned for. We need our Programme Managers to develop a deep understanding of the content of their programmes and display strong leadership that goes beyond just following project management processes.
We have a diverse portfolio and our projects include software delivery (using in-house teams, external teams and often a mixture of both), delivery of technology infrastructure, procurement of services and management of suppliers via complicated contractual frameworks. It is common for our projects and programmes to include a combination of these and it is important that once in post, you continue to proactively develop your skills and knowledge in any areas where you are less experienced to meet the evolving needs of your programme.
It is important that you can demonstrate team management experience and developing your team is a core part of this role.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Proven ability to manage and influence senior and external stakeholders in a delivery capacity.
- Proven ability to lead and inspire a highly skilled team of project and programme professionals; preferably demonstrating line management experience.
- Proven ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams to deliver effective end to end performance.
- A positive, can do attitude and proven ability to deliver effective solutions when met with difficult and challenging risks and issues.
- Proven ability to manage finances for complex projects.
- Negotiation and problem-solving skills including resolving complex issues.
- Proficient in delivering risk management methods and techniques.
• Recognised project and programme methodologies (such as APM or MSP), and service management principles and their contractual and practical application within a complex safety-critical business.
- Good understanding of information technologies and services.
- Good understanding of commercial and contract issues to ensure effective, fit for purpose, supply chain arrangements, to deliver value, quality and reliability.
- Good understanding of procurement processes and techniques.
- Good knowledge of relevant national and international legislation relating to Government/Public Sector IT - e.g. GDPR, EU Procurement Directives, IT security mandates and Freedom of Information Act.
- Business change frameworks and methodologies.
• Extensive experience of being accountable and personally making a difference for the successful end-to-end delivery of multiple and varied projects and programmes in a large and complex organisation and achieving agreed outcomes and benefits.
- Experience of delivery in a multi-supplier environment including contractual negotiations.
- Experience of setting quality standards, forming, integrating and managing complex technology projects and programmes through their lifecycle, ensuring that requirements capture, governance, controls, roles and responsibilities and interfaces are correctly and properly established and managed to ensure effective and timely delivery.
- Experience of managing, shaping and agreeing complex contracts, content, interfaces and requirements to successfully deliver multimillion-pound programme and projects.
Applications are required to have a CV (maximum of two pages) and a covering letter (preferably Word format). Please use the covering letter to explain why you believe that you are suitable for this role. Please think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience outlined in the job description and ensure your CV reflects the requirements of the role you are applying for.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 24 th January at 11:59pm
We reserve the right to close this advert early dependant on volume of applications