About the Green Finance Institute
Established in 2019, the Green Finance Institute is an independent, commercially focused organisation, supported by HM Treasury, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Quadrature Climate Foundation and the City of London Corporation.
As the UK’s principal forum for public and private sector collaboration in green finance, we are uniquely placed to accelerate the domestic and global transition to a zero-carbon and climate-resilient economy through mobilising capital.
We convene and lead coalitions, made up of networks of dynamic decision makers across financial services, policy, business, academia and civil society, to identify and unlock barriers to deploy capital at pace and scale towards impactful, real-economy outcomes.
What's in it for you
You will play a key leadership role in a small but rapidly growing team working across the Green Finance Institute’s portfolio of coalitions, projects and taskforces.
You will work as part of the senior management team to develop and drive forward the Green Finance Institute’s strategy alongside the CEO. This will mean working collaboratively with domestic and global stakeholders across the financial sector, government, industry, civil society and academia to deliver tangible interventions that will deploy capital towards sectors of the real economy, supporting the transition to net zero.
The Green Finance Institute is scaling its efforts to transform the financial system and the wider economy at pace. In the aftermath of the global pandemic, the need to channel investment towards a greener economy that will benefit business, society and the environment is a critical priority for governments and businesses alike.
What's the role?
We are looking for someone to join the Green Finance Institute’s Senior Management Team as we scale our programme. Reporting directly to the CEO you will oversee the overall programme of coalitions and our programme of work, acting in a Chief of Staff role and deputising for the CEO where necessary.
As part of the Senior Management Team you will provide oversight and leadership of work programme and coalitions. In particular you will incubate new thematic areas and will take ownership for the operationalisation and structure of new projects and their resource management. You will provide structure to the programme and coordinate activities between the Programme Directors and their teams. As well as providing this crucial structure and leadership you must also have significant experience working in the sector, be credible with stakeholders and a subject matter expert in your own right.
Working in partnership with the SMT, and COO in particular, you will forward plan for the second phase of the GFI strategy to develop products and services. You will also support fundraising activities and strategy development.
This role offers a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of the sector. It will allow you to collaborate with major financial institutions in designing new innovative financial products and services that have the potential to decarbonise entire sectors and create significant opportunities for economic transformation and job creation.
We’re looking for someone who is an accomplished leader and manager, who can provide structure and rigour to our programme. You need to be comfortable working both strategically and down in the detail and delivery as despite our considerable reach, we remain a small team operating with a high growth, start-up to scale-up mindset. You need to be comfortable speaking in public, leading and chairing meetings and an excellent communicator. Collaboration with industry, government, civil society and academia domestically and internationally is a key element of this role. You will be accomplished at working in a dynamic environment where influencing, networking and good programme management is key. In this role it is essential that you are delivery focussed and outcome driven in all that you do.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide management and leadership to the core work programme of coalition projects and thematic areas within GFI. Oversee resource management and day-to-day programme management, reporting to the CEO. Effectively supporting and managing the Programme Directors and their teams to deliver the overall programme;
- Deputise for the Chief Executive Officer during her absence, and on specific matters/issues as delegated. E.g. Delivering key-note presentations at various Global events. Develop the brand and external profile of the GFI as well as your external profile and the external profile of the team of Programme Directors;
- Contribute to, develop and implement strategic plans and decisions made by the Chief Executive Officer, SMT and Board of the GFI;
- Develop and embed a consistent programme and project management approach across the business, working with the SMT to ensure the reporting is aligned;
- Be an active member of the Senior Management Team, to achieve the GFI’s key objectives;
- Actively engage with HMG to ensure that the GFI programme is represented and maximum leverage is obtained. Work with the engagement team and Public Affairs resources to support HMG requests;
- Provide advice and recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer on strategic, matters. This could include; the implications of major decisions, team resourcing and performance and strategies;
- Incubate and develop new areas of work for GFI. Build effective partnerships with the Programme Directors to develop strong commercial propositions for market engagement;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders. Nurture strategic partnerships to identify changes which impact on the Institute’s achievement of long and short-term goals;
- Represent and promote the interests of the GFI externally in both public sector and government departments, as well as within the financial services sector; and
- Carry out other duties within the scope of the role as directed by the Chief Executive.
You need to have:
- Significant experience in a management and leadership role;
- Background in Green Finance and an existing senior profile within the industry;
- A proven track record of leading and managing multiple complex multi-disciplinary programmes to successful outcomes;
- A strong commercial focus and financial acumen combined with extensive experience in programme management;
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems within the programme as necessary;
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills with senior-level officials, partners and influencers across private and public sectors.
- Experience in leading and developing organisational strategy;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a proven capacity to translate information and ideas into actionable plans;
- A strong independent work ethic in addition to an ability to work as part of an agile and fast-moving team; and
- A genuine interest in environmental sustainability.
How to apply
Please send your CV and short cover letter by 9am on Monday 7th December 2020. Your cover letter should be no more than 2 sides of A4 and clearly outline your skills and experience relevant to the role.
More searches like this
- Banking Strategy Senior Management jobs in United Kingdom
- Environmental Strategy Senior Management jobs in United Kingdom
- Financial Services Strategy Senior Management jobs in United Kingdom
- Government Strategy Senior Management jobs in United Kingdom
- Transport & Logistics Strategy Senior Management jobs in United Kingdom