Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise
We urgently require a Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise to act as the principal advisor on employment, skills and enterprise, lead policy and strategy development, and to assist the Council to influence and respond, to public policy and new Government or regional initiatives.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will lead the development and operation of the Employment, Skills and Enterprise Service to achieve the borough's strategic priorities to improve residents' skills, help them to access quality employment, support business growth, town centre improvements and diversification.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will provide effective leadership to the Employment, Skills and Enterprise, including developing the forward strategy for the service, translating strategy into measurable operational plans and promoting continuous improvement.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will lead the development and delivery of the employment, skills and enterprise agenda within the Council and with partner organisations. This requires proactive adjustment to changing national, regional and local policy and economic context.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will lead external partnerships with the business community, employment and skills partners, the voluntary and community sector, as well as key policy and funding bodies including the West London Alliance, Greater London Authority, and Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will lead the development of internal relationships to ensure outcomes are holistic, including work with children, young people and families, housing, health and social services, culture and libraries, regeneration, planning, and environmental services. This is critical to delivering a one-council approach to employment, skills, enterprise and town centre investment outcomes.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will motivate and inspire staff to deliver excellent outcomes, to raise educational and skills standards across the borough, help Brent residents to access and sustain quality employment, support business growth, and town centre improvements.
The Head of Employment, Skills and Enterprise will provide an excellent adult and community learning service that is focussed on the highest standards, employment outcomes and the health and wellbeing of residents.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent experience and qualifications.
- Evidence of significant relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Understanding of policy, programmes and good practice regarding economic development, town centre regeneration, employment guidance, support and outcomes, and adult education.
- The legislative, funding, accreditation and inspection frameworks within which the service operates, including relevant Government priorities and expectations and new challenges.
- The education and training needs of adults in the local operating context.
- An understanding of unemployment and social exclusion in disadvantaged and diverse communities.
- Appreciation and understanding of challenges and opportunities for businesses across different sectors within a changing economic, environmental and political context.
- Senior-level leadership of customer-focused services and continuous service improvement in a relevant economic development, education learning, training or employment-related organisation of similar scope and complexity.
- Demonstrable and successful experience of leading strategy development and effective problem solving/resolution.
- Developing and sustaining successful partnerships with a wider range of external bodies, including local businesses and representing an organisation on a local, regional or national stage
- Success in implementing complex and /or large scale strategic and/or operational change programmes and motivating people to achieve outstanding results.
- Experience of managing large budgets, promoting commercial approaches, identifying and implementing new funding opportunities and managing key risks.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with high levels of credibility and authority
- Highly effective communication, negotiating and influencing skills and demonstrable experience of productive stakeholder and partner engagement.
- Strong business sense, with the creativity and drive to promote and maintain the strategic and operational impetus and achieve impact
- A strong role model who demonstrates a personal commitment to high standards of public service, honesty and integrity and professionalism.
- Passion and enthusiasm to promote change and motivate others to succeed