Chief Operating Officer
1 day left
- Contract Type
Chief Operating Officer
Salary – Up to £95,000
Location - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford
UK Research and Innovation is a new body which works in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to flourish.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multidisciplinary research organisations. We combine world-class facilities including the ISIS pulsed neutron and muon source and the Vulcan Petawatt Laser, with support for major high-profile international science activities, such as the UK’s participation in CERN and the Diamond Light Source. We also operate important technology centres including the Hartree Centre, RAL Space and the National Satellite Test Facility, run by some of the world’s most talented staff, operating at the frontiers of advanced science and technology.
With sites including the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) at the Harwell campus in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory at the Sci-Tech Daresbury campus in Cheshire, and the UK Astronomy Technology Centre in Edinburgh, which are developing communities of innovative businesses working within the research programmes, STFC is positioned to deliver advance scientific understanding and generate a remarkable variety of real-world benefits which shape societies and transform lives.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); formed in 2018 to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Summary of position
We now have an excellent opportunity for an exceptionally skilled and experienced Chief Operating Officer to lead Corporate Services within STFC as a key member of the STFC Executive Board. The role will be based at RAL on the Harwell Campus, but the scope of the role will embrace all STFC sites.
Key Duties and responsibilities include:
- Direct management, including strategic planning and decision-making, of STFC’s Support Services over 4 locations, including Estates and Facilities Management, Safety, Health and Environment (SHE); Risk Management and Continuous Improvement.
- The postholder has indirect responsibility for the Human Resources, Finance, Governance, Assurance, Risk and Information (GARI) functions and procurement.
- As a member of the Executive Team supporting the STFC Executive Chair in the transformation of STFC in alignment to the UKRI strategy.
- Working with the Executive Team leading and supporting strategic planning and decision making; and to work on a number of collaborative activities that are incorporated within the enabling activities of the STFC Strategy Map, such as evaluation and improvement of corporate performance, estates planning, environmental strategy etc
- Ensuring STFC receives quality and timely support, information and advice from UKRI Corporate Services.
- Establishing procedures and processes to ensure the smooth functioning of STFC in terms of corporate governance and corporate management.
This role reports directly to our Executive Chair and will be pivotal to ensuring our operational responsibilities are met and our internal transformation plan is delivered successfully.
Background and experience required
- Educated to degree level in a Business discipline or demonstrate significant equivalent experience. Professional qualifications in financial management and/or project management are desirable, as is professional membership of a relevant business institution.
- Significant experience of delivering organisational change, leading a corporate services function at senior management level, with leadership knowledge of the range of disciplines involved, including experience of financial planning and analysis, and of delivering significant projects / major change at pace.
- Proven track record of working with Boards at a senior level with diverse internal and external stakeholders, and evidence of building effective cross functional working relationships.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of governance and risk management principles, and of complex HR issues, based on close management experience.
- Background operating from the research and innovation sector and experience of the public sector preferred.
- Ability to operate successfully at strategic level, working collaboratively with partner organisations with a record of translating organisational vision and strategy into operational requirements
- A motivational and inspirational leader with experience of successfully leading and developing high performing teams to deliver high-quality and resilient business-as-usual operations and to enhance service delivery and foster inclusive and respectful working environments.
- Display first class communication, interpersonal, relationship building, collaboration, customer relations and influencing skills.
STFC employs over 2000 staff across the UK, so the successful candidate will need flexibility to travel.
We are able to offer a flexible working pattern or job share for the right individual.
Applications from the under-represented gender and minority groups are particularly encouraged
STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme and social and sporting activities and societies.
Applicants must include a CV and cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
The closing date for applications is Friday 23rd October, with interviews taking place on Monday 23rd November 2020.