Chief Revenue Officer / Sales Director - high growth VC backed AI, Analytics Tech provider
Our client is a high growth leading provider of AI, digital technologies, data analytics, and real-time data which enables its customers (Local Authorities) to develop Smart Cities. The business has created cutting-edge products using machine learning, including sensors with on-board video analytics capabilities, and city-wide control and optimisation algorithms. They are currently rolling out thousands of sensors across the UK's Cities and are seeking a Sales Director to join the team to continue their already impressive annual triple-digit annual growth in the UK.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of a fast-moving company dedicated to revolutionising the way cities work, becoming the lynchpin of future global transport infrastructure and beyond.
REQUIREMENT FOR A SALES DIRECTOR
As the company Sales Director, you will be the most senior commercial executive in the business and as such will be leading and directing the sales strategy, governance, and business model, developing a consistent narrative to engage government and local authorities at the highest level. This is a top executive position within one of the fastest-growing start-ups in the field, giving you the opportunity to influence the trajectory of AI in Smart Cities infrastructure.
As a member of senior management responsible for revenue:
- You will lead end-to-end sales operations in the UK to achieve agreed sales volumes, taking responsibility for the generation of core revenues.
- You will evolve the customer acquisition strategy, overseeing its execution to ensure the company continues to rapidly scale the UK presence.
- You will work with other members of the Executive team to input into the company's future strategy and direction, using in-depth knowledge of the industry developed through your close work with clients.
- You will report to the CEO, and provide monthly reports to the Board on progress, KPIs, and forecasts.
As a sales leader:
- You will lead, grow, and develop a team of Business Development Managers and Executives, ensuring you have an incredibly high performing team with the ability to hit ambitious targets.
- You will develop connections and long-lasting relationships with key customers and ensure your team is successfully forming these relationships as well.
- You will be responsible for all management of the team, including hiring, designing a compensation strategy, ongoing performance review, conducting appraisals, succession planning, and addressing shortfalls in performance
- You will be their coach and mentor, developing an exceptional sales operation with a team you are proud of.
- You will work with your team to close large and complex deals where necessary, engaging senior clients at a national level to build durable & effective relationships.
- You will work with your team to develop an appropriate hierarchy of sales plans for key accounts, products, and markets.
As an executive at a rapidly growing company:
- You will develop procedures and processes to ensure that the company can not only hit their ambitions for the current year but that they have a scalable operation to deliver continued triple-digit growth, where you are always thinking 12-24 months ahead.
- You will use a data-driven approach to continually optimise the company’s value proposition and sales strategy in the face of a changing marketplace.
- You will drive the evolution of key metrics measuring your success to enable continual targeted interventions and improvements, such as lead generation, sales cycle time, conversion rate, net upsell & customer acquisition costs.
You will have targets, including:
- You will take full responsibility for the delivery of the agreed quarterly and annual revenue targets.
- You will build a pipeline of sufficient quality to deliver the subsequent year’s target.
- Alongside the rest of the exec team, you will strive to achieve EBITDA targets and not solely revenue.
- You will ideally have operated as a Sales Director or Chief Commercial/Revenue Officer at the Board level in a fast-growing technology/software or data business.
- You have extensive relevant professional experience, with a significant experience in a Sales Management / Sales Leadership position.
- You have an excellent background in Enterprise or B2G sales, with the recent hands-on experience to call on in supporting and mentoring your team through challenging & complex sales.
- You will likely have experience closing Enterprise or B2G technology deals of at least £400k in your past.
- You will have experience responding to complex tender documents from enterprise customers and coaching others to do so.
- You have an impressive and demonstrable record of over-achieving challenging targets.
- You have a good understanding of lead generation strategy in Enterprise or B2G and have worked alongside marketing operations to execute lead generation activity.
- You have experience in data-driven improvements, and the ability to see beyond the numbers to drive decision-making at tactical and strategic levels, including extensive experience using and developing reports, metrics, and dashboards with relevant sales tools and programs.
- You have a good understanding of technology, allowing you to act as a source of authority for our clients when selling a complex technical product.
- You are self-motivated and thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment, and are excited to take on stretch goals and deal with uncertainty while making strategic decisions despite incomplete information.
- You bring gravitas, exceptional relationship management, influencing, and communication skills, including experience effectively & succinctly communicating with your senior management peers.
- You have proven experience of hiring, leading, and growing a high performing team of business development/sales executives.
- You are an excellent people motivator with the ability to motivate your team and drive for high performance
- You have the ability to move seamlessly from big-picture thinking to operational tactics.
- It would be advantageous if you also had experience growing a sales team in a territory outside the UK.