Health and Safety Director
1 day left
- Join a successful company and leader in the UK Water industry
- Autonomy to be the driving force in leading the company's H&S strategy
About Our Client
Founded in 1989, Pennon has been driven by its strategic vision to become a leader in UK infrastructure, delivering for the benefit of customers, communities, and the environment.
South West Water provide water and waste water services to a population of c.1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, parts of Dorset and Somerset, and the Isles of Scilly. South West Water was awarded enhanced status for its 2015-2020 Business Plan, delivering sector leading returns. The Company's business plan for 2020-25 was awarded fast-track status by Ofwat in 2019 making South West Water the only company to achieve successive fast-track status for two consecutive price reviews.
Bournemouth Water providing water services to a population of c.0.5 million in areas of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire. Bournemouth Water was acquired in April 2015 and has been integrated with South West Water to deliver synergies and savings.
Pennon Water Services are business water specialists, licensed by Ofwat, providing water retail services for all business customer's water management needs.
Pennon employees circa 2000 people across a network of sites, offices and service areas across the South West.
The Pennon Group is continuously striving to improve performance and create a safe, healthy working environment for all their employees, customers and partners. Health, safety and well-being are an absolute priority for the business.
- The Director of Health and Safety is a senior leadership position, reporting directly to the Chief People Officer and responsible for the implementation of the Group`s strategy to deliver outstanding H&S performance. The post holder will provide advice and direction on all matters relating to H&S and employee welfare at the highest level, typically Managing Director / Operations Director. The candidate will also play an important and integral part in helping Pennon to achieve its vision of being the best health and safety performer in the UK Water industry.
- The initial emphasis will be to implement the group's HomeSafe 2025 Strategy, realising a step change in injury and ill-health performance across the Group. Working closely with leadership teams, group functions, management and field-based teams; the role requires the highest levels of collaboration.
- The role will be responsible for all back-office, operational and field-based H&S resources; creating and maintaining strong, competent teams providing advice and guidance, challenge and coaching to diverse groups. Responsibility for OPEX and CAPEX budgets, where appropriate, will be delegated to the role.
- The role is expected to play a prominent part in defining and delivering a progressive agenda of performance improvement and culture change. The role will oversee subject matter experts and resources in the Health and Safety team and will need to foster excellent relationships between the operational parts of the business.
- The Director of Health and Safety will oversee the implementation of the subsidiaries Health & Safety Management Systems, including maintaining certification to ISO 45001. they will ensure that accidents and incidents are properly investigated, maintaining appropriate records, evaluating processes, and making recommendations to senior leadership to avoid any future incidents and minimise risk to all employees.
The Successful Applicant
- The Director of Health and Safety requires a strong grasp of recognised best practice, risk management techniques and management principles, supported by a thorough appreciation of health and safety and security matters within a highly regulated and hazardous industry sector.
- The Director of H&S will need to provide clear leadership, the possession of well-developed skills in stakeholder engagement, and the confidence to present and influence at senior leadership/executive level, are all qualities which are essential to the successful fulfilment of the requirements of this role.
- We will be looking for candidates of degree calibre, ideally qualified in an engineering discipline and hold professional safety and environmental qualifications (min. NEBOSH Diploma) and will be an active member of IOSH or a similar recognised institution. Ideally they will also hold an appropriate management qualification (e.g. CMI)
- Any successful candidates will need proven experience in a similar senior H&S role, ideally gained in a multi-site, process intense medium/heavy industry environment. With in-depth experience of the management of health & safety in a high-hazard, multi-site environment.
- The Director of Health and Safety will need to demonstrate a strong track record of delivering sustainable safety performance improvement gained through behavioural change. The candidate will also need to prove that they are comfortable working at an Executive level, with previous interface experience being an advantage.
- The candidate will need to prove they are calm under pressure and have experience of preparing for, and active participation in, regulatory audits, crisis management events and significant incident investigations.
- The Director of Health and Safety will need to match and exceed the Pennon Group's passion and commitment towards guaranteeing the safety and well-being of all employees, customers and partners.
- The seniority of this role requires the post holder to display the highest levels of integrity and must actively discharge behaviours that are consistent with the Group's values; Trusted, Collaborative, Progressive and Responsible.
What's on Offer
- Competitive salary and great benefits package.
- Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
- Ref Code: MPFEJN -082020-1205592Z
Apply for Health and Safety Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly