Our Client is an award-winning media company that produces, distributes and licenses content globally. This is a hugely exciting time to be joining a business with an excellent track record of success, including both established operations and new products and revenue streams.
The Financial Controller reports to the CFO and will manage and develop the central finance function in a fast-paced, creative and dynamic environment as the company grows over the next three years. The role will also support the wider commercial and operational teams, requiring strong attention to detail, the juggling of priorities, an upbeat can-do attitude, and responsibility for a wide range of duties that will include:
- Work closely with the CFO to lead and manage the central finance function, leading, developing and mentoring the team
- Plan and manage the development and growth of the existing central finance function as the company expands globally over the next three years, including ongoing reviews of processes and systems
- Oversee, supervise and ensure a timely, full and accurate set of accounting records for several group companies, commensurate with the relevant legislation and regulation in the UK
- Responsible for the preparation of accurate and timely monthly P&L and Balance Sheet for inclusion in the Management Accounts pack
- Provide financial inputs into the annual budget process to support the FP&A team, to ensure monthly reporting of actual results versus budget is a smooth process
- Furnish the senior management team and all managers of cost centres throughout the company with timely, accurate, valuable and comprehensive reporting and analysis of costs performance versus business on a monthly basis
- Manage the accounts payable function and oversee weekly payment runs and approval of payments to suppliers. Ensure accuracy of data entry and account coding across all accounting records.
Audit and Statutory Accounts
- Liaise with external auditors and advisors to ensure smooth annual audit and ongoing tax and statutory compliance
- Work with the management accountant on the preparation of year-end audit files for review by external auditors
- Prepare annual statutory financial accounts and ensure compliance with applicable financial reporting standards in the UK
- Liaise with external advisors to address taxation and compliance issues as required, including the annual corporation tax return
Other key functions
- Manage timely submission of VAT & EU returns
- Oversee the external payroll company and ensure the accuracy of the payroll submission to the agency on a monthly basis
- Be the key point of contact for pensions and benefits payments, and related annual submissions, such as P11D
- Manage banking relationships and be a key point of contact
- Be a key point of contact for insurance brokers and manage the renewal of all annual insurance policies and the ensure complete and accurate disclosure to all insurers
- Work with the CFO to manage the companywide staff option scheme including all related EMI submissions as required, including EMI valuation submissions to HMRC
The role requires a candidate who is operating as a financial controller or finance manager with a strong technical accounting background. You will have a keen attention to detail, strive for high levels of excellence and be able to communicate effectively with senior leadership team members. A keen interest in media would be an advantage, and the following skills and competencies are required:
- Qualified accountant with demonstrable PQE in a similar role, with a high level of technical knowledge and experience of relevant accounting standards
- Willing to work in a growing and collaborative team environment
- Strong problem-solving attitude and communication skills
- Collegiate work ethic with the ability to coach and influence stakeholders
- Ability to get involved in detail and excellent attention to detail skills are required
- Approachable and optimistic
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to mentor & develop staff
- Self-motivated and comfortable with a changing environment.
- Ability to create and implement effective processes & procedures and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Adaptive approach and attitude, ability to be proactive
- Advanced knowledge of business software including; MS Excel, Outlook, Word & PowerPoint
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button, or alternatively, contact Justin Dunner at Walker Hamill quoting reference JD51208.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. We are sorry but if you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for almost 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed companies, private equity backed businesses and privately owned, early stage ventures. We recruit across all sectors, but have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we also have additional offices in continental Europe. For further information, please see the Walker Hamill website.