With a view to improving the functioning of the European Union internal market, the EBA contributes to ensuring a high quality, effective and consistent level of regulation and supervision in its areas of competence. It also promotes public values such as the stability of the financial system, the transparency of markets and financial products, and the protection of depositors and investors.
We propose the position of Executive Director of the European Banking Authority (EBA). The Executive Director is a full-time independent professional, member of EBA staff, based in Paris, France. He/she will manage on a day-to-day basis the EBA activities ensuring the achievement of the EBA objectives.
He/she shall be responsible for the implementation of the annual work programme and take the necessary measures to ensure the functioning of EBA.
He/she will be accountable to the EBA Board of Supervisors and its Chair in particular, and report to the Board of Supervisors on an on-going basis on the development of the EBA activities.
The Executive Director's term of office shall be five years and may be extended once.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the day-to-day management of EBA. He/she shall responsible for the tasks laid down in section IV of the regulation establishing the EBA, in particular:
• The management of the Authority and preparing the work of the Management Board;
• Implementing the annual work programme of the Authority under the guidance of the Board of Supervisors and under the control of the Management Board;
• Taking the necessary measures, notably the adoption of internal administrative instructions and the publication of notices, to ensure the functioning of the Authority, in accordance with this Regulation;
• Preparing a multi-annual work programme;
• Preparing, each year, a work programme for the following year;
• Drawing up a preliminary draft budget of the Authority and implementing the budget of the Authority, in full compliance with EU financial regulations;
• Preparing each year, a draft annual report with a section on the regulatory and supervisory activities of the Authority and a section on financial and administrative matters;
• Exercising in respect to the Authority's staff the powers laid down in the Regulation and managing staff matters.
1. Eligibility Criteria
To be considered eligible, candidates must satisfy all the criteria listed below, by the deadline for submitting applications.
• Be a national of a Member State of the European Union;
• Be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
• Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
• Have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union;
• Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
To be considered for the pre-selection phase, the applicants must meet the following formal eligibility criteria by the closing date of applications and have:
a) A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more, or
b) A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma8 and appropriate professional experience of at least one year when the normal period of university education is at least three years (this one year’s professional experience cannot be included in the post graduate professional experience required below).
1.2.2 Professional experience
To qualify for the position a candidate must have extensive fulltime professional experience, after completing the education as mentioned under 1.2.1., of which
• Must be relevant senior experience in the banking sector or the supervision thereof;
• Management experience which must have been acquired managing staff and budgets at a high level or working in management structures with a high level of responsibility.
1.2.3 Knowledge of languages
For working purposes, as English is the working language of the EBA, an excellent knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken, is required.
Native English speakers will be tested to prove their second language skills, in accordance with section 1.1.
1.2.4 Age limit
To qualify for the position the candidate must be able to complete the full five-year mandate before reaching retirement age. For temporary staff of the European Union, retirement age is defined as being the end of the month in which the person reaches the age of 66.
2. Selection criteria
In addition to the above, the following selection criteria will be used:
• Thorough knowledge of the sectors relevant for the activities of EBA and proven expertise in these areas;
• Proven experience in financial regulation and/or supervision at national, European or international level of relevance to the activities of EBA;
• Thorough understanding of the EU institutions and EU decision-making process, European and international activities of relevance to the activities of EBA;
• Extensive experience of budgetary, financial and/or human resources management in a national, European and/or international context;
• Ability to lead and motivate a team including both technical, administrative and support staff;
It would be advantageous for the candidate to have direct supervisory experience. Applications will be assessed based on the Eligibility and Selection criteria specified in parts 1 and 2.
For this position, the candidates are expected to fulfil the following competencies which will be assessed during interviews:
• Proven capacity to take decisions at strategic and political levels;
• Excellent networking abilities, communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to deal and negotiate with high level legislative and governmental representatives as well as stakeholders and financial industry representatives within and outside the EU;
• Strong sense of responsibility, strong commitment, initiative and self-motivation.
Submission of Applications
As a European Union Authority, the EBA will apply a policy of equal opportunities and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures.
Please click on 'Apply' to access full details on the Selection Procedure, Appointment and Conditions of Employment, and Submission of Applications.