Portfolio Manager / Mutual Fund Analyst
Portfolio Manager/ Mutual Fund Analyst
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 686 to 8 052)
Duration of appointment: 5 years
Career path: Technical
Application deadline: 25.10.2019
Principal Directorate 0.5 (Administration of the Reserve Funds) contributes to the long-term financial stability of the European Patent Organisation by taking responsibility for investment activities related to the Reserve Funds for Pensions and Social Security (RFPSS).
The RFPSS are a special class of asset of the Organisation, designed to safeguard the stability of its pension and social security schemes by maintaining the real value of the funds' assets; and by seeking to obtain an overall return that is above inflation and commensurate with the level of risk adopted over the investment horizon. Assets are invested in a broad range of asset classes (domestic government bonds, domestic corporate bonds, foreign bonds, emerging-market bonds, domestic equity, foreign equity, emerging-market equity, real estate, commodities and cash) in accordance with the strategic asset allocation policy and are managed internally, both by means of direct investments and by using third-party investment vehicles, including mutual funds and certificates. The total value of the assets managed amounted to around EUR 9bn as of 31 August 2019.
In view of the size of the reserve funds, RFPSS investment management is vitally important to the financial health of the Organisation.
PD 0.5 is looking for a portfolio manager / mutual fund analyst to join its portfolio management team. Reporting to the Chief Portfolio Manager, you will be responsible for a portfolio and deputise for other portfolio managers. You will also analyse and model existing portfolios and third-party investment vehicles (particularly mutual funds and certificates), analyse macroeconomic and financial market data and assist in the preparation of reports for various bodies.
Your main responsibilities:
- Managing a portfolio in accordance with RFPSS investment procedures and the mandate given by the Fund Administrator
- Selecting potential asset managers, banks, brokers, financial institutions and corporate bodies
- Strengthening and systemising mutual fund capabilities by:
- Fostering due diligence by building and maintaining a consistent database of mutual funds held in the different portfolios, covering aspects like management team, investment styles, costs, AUM development over time
- Helping to further reduce the cost of indirect investments by ensuring that the RFPSS achieves the best available management fees, expense ratios, and rebates
- Monitoring swing prices and other hidden costs
- Enhancing early identification of risk clusters by building and maintaining tools allowing an aggregate look-through analysis of mutual funds
- In close co-operation with the rest of the portfolio management team:
- Analysing macroeconomic and financial-market information
- Preparing data for investment purposes
- Producing reports on investment activity and other related issues like ESG
What we expect from you:
- Extensive experience in investment management, with a focus on mutual fund selection and financial analysis
- Specific investment experience in one or several of the asset classes covered by the RFPSS would be an advantage
- Familiarity with standard financial market data tools, and particularly Bloomberg
- Strong financial and quantitative analytical skills
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Self-motivation, sharp analytical skills, an enthusiastic approach to team work and the ability to complete multiple tasks within tight deadlines
- Successful completion of the CFA examinations would be an advantage
- Diploma of completed university studies at master’s level or - in exceptional cases - equivalent professional experience
- An excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one of the EPO's official languages (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach Level B2 within three years would be required.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
You can apply via the ''Apply'' button. It is intended to hold the interviews in week 48 in Munich.
After deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes. The salary range depends on experience.
To foster gender diversity, EPO encourages applications from female candidates.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.