This is an outstanding opportunity to join a market leading Speciality Chemical business. They possess an enviable reputation across the globe and a client list to match, but are focused on climbing to even greater heights.
This impressive business has evolved to maintain an innovative position in this highly evolving marketplace, and had a clear focus on scientific/technical input as well as new product innovation. Quality of product as well as service is at the core of the business.
The Group board have set about both an accelerated new product development strategy along with an ambitious international expansion program to drive exponential growth. This will be undertaken, with close input from the Technical Director, to bring new products to market over a 3-5 year time frame, leveraging the commercial channels set up in the short-term. This will in turn bring further investment in technologies and inorganic growth opportunities.
The business is performing well. They are cash rich, debt free and with significant investment capital available. Turnover has increased by 30% over the last 5 years, and EBITDA seen even greater growth. However, there exists significant appetite to accelerate those growth achievement within the business, whilst further cementing their market position, increasing their market share and further internationalising the business, all the time re-investing heavily into the business to continue and accelerate its growth and financial position in the long-term. They invest significantly in both process technology AND in personnel to ensure the highest of standard of both product and service are maintained.
Critical to the achievement of these objectives is a recruitment of a commercial, delivery focused Managing Director.
This is a strategic leadership role. The appointee will take full responsibility for this unusual, but extremely exciting business.
Reporting to the Group CEO, they will be granted total autonomy in the development and leadership of this business as it continues to make ever greater waves across the market. They will be a master as understanding the vision, turning that vision into an actionable strategy, setting the milestones critical for the delivery of that strategy and ensuring all milestones are hit.
The successful candidate will take total responsibility for the business, it’s financial, commercial and operational performance together with the design, development and crucially the implementation and delivery of a clear strategy to further grow and develop the business. Along with class leading technical and production functions, the impact this role will have is critical to ensure the organisation has the firmest of foundations from which to springboard into exciting new markets as well as developing existing markets.
- Proven business leader, likely to be a proven MD/COO/GM, with experience in speciality chemicals, polymers or similar industries, most likely with a commercial/sales background.
- Able to manage a growing business in a complex but high growth international market
- Ability to design and take ownership of the strategic vision for a complex business, as well as communicating, orchestrating and leading its delivery
- Someone who has driven operational efficiencies whilst commercially driving a diverse business to sustainable growth. Experience of internationalising a UK business into other overseas markets would be an added benefit
- Proven experience of creating and managing a fast growing and highly successful business with a diverse product range
- A charismatic leader who clearly demonstrates an ability to empower and motivate a team.
- Exceptional skills in communication, motivation, and interpersonal relations, and able to convey a message that is understandable and relevant, linking business issues, financial results and strategy
- Experience of operating at the highest level of professionalism and personal integrity
- The successful candidate will have a passion for continuous improvement, commercial and operational performance and a strong sense of accountability.
- Results driven
- Commercial focus
- Leadership capabilities
- Planning and monitoring
- Judgement and decision-making
- Forward thinking
- Ability to lead & motivate both technical and commercial teams
- Excellent people management skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and maintain accuracy at all times
- Ability to work independently and with the vision to ensure exemplary operational performance
- Must be able to travel internationally when required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Preferably degree educated, most likely within a technical or scientific discipline.
- Experience of the speciality chemicals, polymer or closely complimentary industries
- Excellent communication and listening skills, both internally and externally and appreciation of cultural requirements
- Ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audience