- VAT Manager for a forward thinking and successful University
- An opportunity to lead on VAT issues for the Univesity
About Our Client
The University of Warwick is a forward-thinking institution with a constant presence in the rankings of the world's greatest universities and an enviable reputation for academic and commercial success.
The University prides itself on being an excellent employer, with a genuine commitment to providing opportunities for both professional and personal development.
Campus features include Warwick Arts Centre, a venue with an acclaimed reputation nationally and internationally. This means you're moments away from the best in theatre, music, comedy and dance.
You can also easily explore the Warwickshire countryside, take a short train journey into Birmingham, or hop on a bus to Coventry city centre, Leamington Spa or Kenilworth. London is approximately an hour's train ride away from Coventry train station.
As the VAT Manager you will be responsible for:
- Accurate and timely preparation and on-line submission to HMRC or overseas authorities of all statutory VAT returns and VAT payments for the University and all its subsidiary companies in accordance with local legal requirements
- Preparation of all necessary adjustments on an annual or more frequent basis to make adjustments to returns and to recover the correct level of VAT including - Partial Exemption Special Method (PESM), voluntary disclosures, Capital Goods Scheme (CGS), VAT code adjustments etc.
- Reconcile VAT accounts in SAP on a quarterly basis
- Process review - implementation of systems changes for MTD and ongoing audit/review of processes and documentation, aiming to reduce clerical input and the need for reworking
- Maintenance of VAT risk register
- Establishment and delivery of training course and reference material using appropriate delivery medium
- Review and identification of appropriate VAT recovery position on estate projects, including post -build monitoring
- Assist the Head of Tax in identifying and evaluating lawful opportunities for minimising the tax liabilities of the University and development and implementation of tax planning in collaboration with external advisors in line with University's published tax strategy and providing VAT and other indirect tax advice across the University as required
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role
- As part of & to fulfil the above:
- Interpret complex tax legislation and translate for non-tax experts in the University
- Liaise with professional advisors and colleagues at other Universities to ensure that the University keeps abreast of tax issues developing in the HE sector
- Promote best practice within the University Group and represent and promote the University across the sector
- Assist the Head of Tax in maintaining the University's good relationship with HMRC, responding to HMRC questions, and developing a response to HMRC challenges minimising penalties
- Develop specialist knowledge and expertise in relevant current and emerging areas in both the education sector and in business in particular in relation to overseas relationships
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate should have:
- Substantial Tax experience across all indirect taxes involving complex organisations with significant exposure to partially exempt business
- Experience of analysing complex information from a variety of sources within tight deadlines and identifying the key strategic and operational issues
- Well-developed understanding of tax regulations and legislation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical matters in a non-technical way both orally and in writing
- Excellent spreadsheet skills and experience of data extraction from accounting systems
- They should also have a relevant qualification or be Qualified by experience within Indirect Tax
What's on Offer
£40,000 - £48,000 + a £5,000 market supplement. There are lots of benefits from staff discounts, employee extras, relocation allowances, competitive salaries, three attractive pension schemes with excellent employer contributions and a generous annual leave entitlement.
In order to receive the £5k market supplement, the post holder will need to be qualified AND maintain professional accountancy membership each year.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPFE14041658Z
Apply for VAT Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly