6 days left
Our client is a very well known, globally-respected, market-leading consumer business. With a differentiated product and a reputation for providing an exceptional service, this organisation has enjoyed significant growth over the last five years.
One of the consequences of this success has been a recent transaction that has brought in fresh ownership, additional investment and an even bolder commercial strategy that has been designed to treble the European business over the next few years.
In support of the new investment and to help implement the strategy, an opportunity has been created for a Finance Director (FD) to join the European leadership team, in a newly positioned role.
The FD's first priority will be to lead a complete overhaul of the finance function, designing and implementing a material change programme that will modernise and simplify all of the core financial processes and systems. The reason for this is that the organisation has grown rapidly over the last few years and the systems, processes and capability of the finance function has not kept pace.
There has been a lack of leadership within the function and the core team, despite being incredibly enthusiastic and hard-working, have not had the experience, the capability or the capacity to catch up.
Once the transformation has been delivered and the finance function is operating in an effective and efficient way, this role will transition into a much more commercial opportunity, with a focus on helping to design and implement the new growth strategy, supporting geographical and product diversification, M&A and acting as the key commercial business partner to the Managing Director.
Over and above the delivery of the change programme, the ongoing, key accountabilities will include:
- Lead and manage the Finance team through all accounting and company cycles, including month end, year end and annual audit
- Oversee all budgeting, forecasting and strategic planning processes
- Ensure best practice and robust processes & procedures are in all in place and adhered to, whilst also ensuring that all regulatory requirements are met
- Lead the overall finance and accounting strategy, to optimise the company’s financial performance and strategic position
- Lead, manage, motivate and develop the company’s accounting function and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements including UK GAAP and IFRS, overlaid with Group financial reporting standards and requirements
- Contribute to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers
- Ensure that company financial systems, processes and procedures are robust, compliant, truly fit for purpose and appropriate to support current activities and future growth
- Manage and monitor all forms of risk to the business, appraising the wider Executive team on key issues and opportunities
- Help to define, agree and deliver business objectives and strategic goals, including improved operational maturity and efficiency, material revenue and profit growth and enhanced levels of cash generation
Applications are invited from qualified accountants (ideally ACA), who live in the West Country/Cotsworlds region, and have the following profile:
- High calibre with an impressive academic profile
- Proven ability to improve and modernise a finance function (people, processes and systems)
- Proven experience of leading and developing a best in class finance team
- Strong track record of delivery, with capability across systems and process transformation
- Extremely commercial, able to demonstrate a track record of successful business partnering, including defining and executing strategies that deliver revenue and profit growth
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong IT, systems and process improvement skills
- Ability to handle a broad remit, comfortable working in a fast-paced and challenging environment, comfortable meeting high levels of expectation
- High degree of integrity and openness combined with a commitment to good governance
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success
- Self-motivated, organised, flexible and able to work well under pressure
- Entrepreneurial flare with a willingness to stay close to the detail
- Steeped in consumer/retail/leisure sector experience (ideally branded and at the premium/luxury end of the market)
From a cultural standpoint, this role is ideally suited for someone who is confident and outgoing, a genuine team player and a great relationship builder. The business works at pace and is a reasonably demanding environment. However, the culture is very positive and supportive, with fun clearly to the fore. Staff turnover is incredibly low, further indication of the quality of the organisation and the attractive nature of the environment and the future plans.
Whilst it is possible that this is someone's first FD role, it is far more likely that the successful candidate will have proven their FD credentials in a smaller business (£50m to £200m) or an autonomous division/region of a larger business.
There is much to deliver in this role and this is a wonderful time to join the organisation. Furthermore, the MD has not benefited from working alongside a commercial FD up until now, a dynamic that has created an ideal opportunity for the successful individual to really make a difference, once the finance function is operating properly.
Please note that due to the location of this role, applicants must be either ready to relocate or will already be living in the West Country/Oxfordshire.
Apply for Finance Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly