Company Secretary/Head of Governance
McGregor Boyall are pleased to be recruiting for a Head of Governance/Company Secretary for one of the largest Housing Associations in London - Ealing based.
The organisation has recently merged with another Housing Association which is presenting the opportunity for a Head of Governance to be a part of a new culture who will be owning and streamlining processes for the business. Reporting into the Director of Governance you will have effective management and operation of the Housing Association and all of its subsidiary companies, boards and committees.
The organisation devotes training and ongoing development as part of their drive to learn programme, as a Head of Governance you will truly have the exposure to continuous training in a friendly and forward-thinking environment that works well on sharing information and collaboration.
Everyone at the organisation has a Professional Development Plan, which helps you and your manager to identify and plan how you'll gain new skills and experiences and achieve your career goals as well as a one paid for subscription to a professional body that is relevant to your role.
The company comes with a plethora of benefits including:
- Competitive salaries that are regularly benchmarked to keep up with current market rates.
- 27 days paid annual leave moving to 30 days after 2 years continual service.
- The opportunity to buy and sell up to five days' of annual leave each year.
- Two additional paid volunteering days each year.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Enhanced family friendly leave schemes.
- A generous salary sacrifice pension scheme: matching a contribution of 5% of your monthly salary with another 9% by us.
- Interest free travel loans for annual season ticket holders using public transport, cyclists and annual car parking fees.
- The use of Enterprise Car Club cars if you need to drive to a different location to do your job (London-based colleagues only).
- A great office environment which offers a hangout area with table tennis, comfy sofas and TVs. We also have shower facilities at our London offices for the keen athletes out there.
- Weekly yoga classes and a range of other sports, wellbeing and general social clubs, with events that everyone can get involved in throughout the year.
- Organising, preparing and delivering the overall governance cycle for all of the Housing Associations legal entities, including scheduling meetings, managing agendas and papers.
- Attending board and committee meetings and taking minutes.
- Drafting board and shareholder resolutions and associated forms and paperwork.
- Managing online meetings and resolutions via Diligent.
- Liaising with board and committee members to provide quality support and advice.
- Managing filing arrangements with the Financial Conduct Authority and Companies House, as well as other relevant statutory registrations.
- Maintaining company records including statutory books and registers.
- Managing board member agreements, remuneration and expenses.
- Arranging and delivering board and committee member training, carrying out the annual skills review and appraisal process, and maintaining board member training records.
- Responding to enquiries from shareholders, board members and colleagues on company secretarial and compliance issues.
- You will act as our in-house expert on governance and regulatory matters.
This will include:
- Supporting and promoting excellent governance throughout the business, and finding solutions for issues that get in the way of our achieving it.
- Drafting and advising on the periodic update of the Governance Framework, including the Standing Orders, Financial Regulations, Terms of Reference and delegated authorities.
- Providing advice, guidance and training to board members and senior stakeholders to ensure we comply with all relevant regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Monitoring changes in the regulatory environment and taking appropriate action. Maintaining the gifts and hospitality register.
- Managing the declarations of interests from board and committee members, colleagues and involved residents.
- Overseeing compliance arrangements in line with the NHF Code of Governance and the Code of Conduct.
- Drafting and delivering colleague training on governance, regulation and compliance related issues.
- Your leadership will ensure that your function has a reputation that goes wider than being a safe haven of governance and compliance, but also plays a positive, active role in the business, thinking creatively about solutions which may affect our future, so that our opportunities are enhanced and our position protected. You will manage a small team and will be responsible for managing and motivating individuals to provide a customer focused service to internal and external stakeholders.
- You will assist the Director of Governance and Compliance with constitutional governance and will be responsible for providing overall management, development and training of team members. You will also be responsible for the management and control of relevant budgets within the tight parameters, ensuring value for money for all expenditure.
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.