Non Executive Chair of the Board of Directors
Via East Midlands was established on 1st July 2016 to safeguard the delivery of highways and fleet services in Nottinghamshire. Via was established as a joint venture company between Nottinghamshire County Council (NCC) and Corserv (a company wholly owned by Cornwall Council) to meet budget challenges and enhance commercial opportunities, with the ability to trade commercially up to 20% of the company turnover.
Over the last three years Via’s turnover has grown from £36m to £66m, and the company has developed a reputation for delivering high quality, sustainable highways solutions at a competitive cost. We employ over 600 individuals across 7 locations within Nottinghamshire County and we are proud of our ability to combine a public-sector service ethos with a strong commercial focus, delivering innovative services safely and to a high standard.
In April 2019 Nottinghamshire County Council acquired sole ownership of Via and as a result the company is going through a significant period of change. The recruitment of a new Board of Directors is currently underway, and we are looking for an experienced non-executive Director to act as Chair. This appointment is for an initial period of 12 months, with the option to extend for a further 2 years.
- Lead the Board of Directors, support in the development of the company strategy, scrutinise performance and ensure that we are financially robust
- Represent the vision and values of the Company across the Highways sector network. Acting as an ambassador for Via
- Work collaboratively with the Via leadership team, the executive Board as well as the shareholder representative and the elected leader of the Council to deliver what is best for Via’s customers
- Support and mentor the Company Managing Director, providing guidance and insight on shareholder and governance matters.
- Significant experience of operating at Board level in either a Director or Senior Director position.
- A background in highways, gained ideally within a private sector organisation, is essential. Applicants for this post must have a thorough understanding of the highways sector and the key issues and challenges facing it over the next 2-5 years.
- Significant previous experience of working either for or with a local government or public sector client base is also essential. An understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing local government organisations over the next 2-5 years would be desirable.
The successful candidate will be:
- Politically astute, with strong communication and relationship building skills. Demonstrating the authority to inspire confidence and credibility across Via’s many complex and varied stakeholders.
- An inspiring leader who is able to steer and guide the Board through strategic decision making, ensuring that the interests of all parties are fairly and accurately represented at all times.
- A confident demeanour with the ability to remain calm under pressure handling conflict and challenge with ease.
Commitment: up to 8 days per month for the first 3 months of the appointment, lowering to up to 4 days per month thereafter.
To apply directly please send your c.v. by clicking on Apply.
Strictly no agency approaches or applications please.
Apply for Non Executive Chair of the Board of Directors
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly