Chief Financial Officer - Private Equity Backed Consumer Products and Services
My client specialises in marketing and selling niche products and services direct to the consumer. Employing over 110 people, the business has become a leader in its field with operations in the UK and Europe. The business enjoys a unique and cash-generative model with exciting plans to grow to a double-digit ebitda ahead of an exit. This will be driven by further product diversification, operational efficiencies, increased direct-to-consumer-digitalisation and internationalisation.
Over recent years the business has experienced substantial growth and change following private equity investment. The business is now over six years into the investment lifecycle, debt-free and targeting an exit within the next 2-3 years. This CFO appointment, the latest change to further strengthen the board in preparation for the exciting journey ahead, represents a fantastic opportunity to help steer the business towards a maximised value-creation event for all stakeholders.
The new CFO must be commercial and “forward-looking” in their financial and strategic approach. The CFO must be exit-orientated and must also meet both the strategic and technical challenges within the business.The CFO will take responsibility for investor relations with the Private Equity sponsor and other stakeholders. Strong technical and communication abilities will prove vital when articulating value to potential buyers.
Not only will the CFO work as the CEO’s right-hand and a commercial partner to the senior team, they will also be actively involved in shaping and challenging the growth strategy with the implementation of measurable KPI’s and metrics. The CFO will be expected to constantly measure and articulate to its stakeholders the continued growth and value of the business and where it is against the growth plan towards a maximised exit.
- Must have operated at CFO level within a stand-alone P&L autonomous growth environment
- Experience within relevant direct-to-consumer sales, marketing or retail environments is helpful
- Strong cash management experience
- Track record of leading a business through a period of significant growth evidenced by revenue and EBITDA consolidation and growth/ cost control. Must be strategic and commercial with a demonstrable track-record of value creation
- Implementation of data-driven financial systems and processes including MI, sales metrics, forecasts and KPIs
- Experience of dealing with Private Equity or a similar investor-relations dynamic
- M&A and exit experience desirable
- Commercial forward-looking approach to both business planning and execution. A thought leader willing to challenge both the status quo and the strategic change agenda where necessary.
- Collaborator with ability to drive change agenda. Ability to negotiate and influence internally and externally.
- Partnership mindset – work with CEO to set agenda and track progress.
- Hands on and technically numerate
- Intellectually curious
- Personable predisposition and ability to win hearts and minds
- Must fit into a consumer-centric sales and marketing environment
- Strong presentation skills and gravitas
- Develop and support a data driven culture
- Must possess excellent leadership and communication qualities, well adept at articulating and selling the companies value to the market, particularly potential buyers
- Ability to prioritise tasks in a commercial, logical manner