Financial Controller, UK
Our client is a rapidly growing FinTech in the e-commerce space, with operations in an increasing number of major geographies. Offering an innovative B2C product, the group is disrupting established payment models available to online consumers.
The UK Financial Controller manages all financial control workstreams for the UK business. The primary role is to manage financial systems, processes and people to ensure that financial information is timely, accurate, complete and compliant with relevant accounting, requirements and expectations. The emphasis of the role is ensuring that external disclosure is at best practice levels and that all relevant controls are in place to govern the UK business. The role will have dual reporting lines to the UK Finance Director and to the to the Group Financial Controller (based abroad) and will have regular interaction with the UK CEO.
- Timely and Accurate Reporting - Oversee the accounting and reporting cycle for the UK in alignment with agreed global timelines. Variance analysis on material movements and variations. Work with the Head of Tax to oversee the Company’s statutory taxation obligations (including Income Tax, VAT and other taxes)
- Best Practice External Disclosure - Responsibility for ensuring that the Group’s financial reporting is not only compliant but at a best practice level
- Internal Controls and Compliance - Together with the Group Financial Controller, ensure the appropriate level of internal controls are in place to ensure the integrity of financial data. Establish and maintain all financial procedures, practices, controls and policies in accordance with financial and accounting principles, all legal and corporate/regulatory requirements and required governance practices for the UK business
- Continuous Improvement - Partnering with the broader Finance and Transformation teams, lead and implement continuous improvement in financial systems, processes and analytics
Core Capabilities / Technical Skills:
- Technical proficiency in the design and management of financial controls, risk, governance, statutory reporting. Technical proficiency and working knowledge of IFRS
- Commercial acumen and strong attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to engage with senior stakeholders, peers and external consultants. The ability to concisely and effectively distill information into set of alternatives with a recommended option – both in written and verbal form. Demonstrate a high emotional intelligence when dealing with stakeholders across and external to the company
- Ability to deliver on all accountabilities described above autonomously. Understanding of best practice systems, processes and people organization. Ability to problem solve logically and quickly by presenting alternatives, analyzing each alternative and providing a recommended option
- Ability to build, inspire and motivate a regional Finance team to achieve success in the role. Develop leadership credibility by demonstrating vision, strong commercial judgement and “knowing the numbers”
- Demonstrated ability to work flexibility and at a rapid pace. A willingness to take guidance from business leaders. Exceptional attention to detail
- Significant experience in a similar Financial Control position in a company with global operations. Excellent working knowledge of IFRS
- A proven track record in successfully leading a finance function and expanding that finance function (systems, processes and people) to support global growth.
- Professional accounting qualification, ideally an ACA or CA gained with a major audit firm
To apply for this role, please use the Apply button.
Please note that due to the expected volume of applications we will only be able to respond to those candidates whose experience matches the requirements of our client. If you have not heard from us within the next ten days, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Walker Hamill has been a specialist finance and strategy recruiter for 30 years. We have an extensive client group, including major multinational listed organisations, private equity backed businesses and privately owned companies. We recruit across all sectors and have particularly strong client relationships in media, retail, pharma/biotech, technology, property/real estate, leisure and business services. Headquartered in London, we have additional offices in continental Europe.