Technical Director - West Midlands 5G (WM5G)
Technical Director – West Midlands 5G (WM5G)
NB: 2 Year Fixed Term Contract, potential to extend.
A bit about WM5G
5G is the next generation of mobile technology that is predicted to transform citizens lives, public services, and businesses in the next decade. The West Midlands has secured up to £75m of match funding to build the UK’s first region-wide testbed to lead the acceleration of 5G network deployment and to test, prove and scale major new 5G services.
The Technical Director, reporting to the Managing Director and joining the senior leadership team will oversee the development and application of strategy for infrastructure, hardware and software for WM5G over the duration of the programme.
Working closely with Mobile Network Operators and Telecommunications Equipment Manufacturers you’ll help facilitate their 5G deployments in the test bed area. Via this deployment, WM5G will looking to attract trial partners to undertake “Application Accelerator” programmes. They’ll get to use the deployed infrastructure as a proving base for 5G applications and services. The aim being to deliver multiple trials using infrastructure deployed in a real urban environment. These trials will cover both public and private sector services and solutions.
What you'll bring
With the Technical Director taking end to end ownership WM5G’s technical strategy, we are searching for an experienced and senior level Technical Design Authority who has developed and deployed major Telecoms Infrastructure programmes. These programmes will have included Mobile and Fibre elements. That experience will have given you the knowledge to provide design assurance across regulatory compliance, security and inter-operability of technologies.
- You’ll be able to show key achievements in both telecoms infrastructure strategy and project deliveries as evidence of your capabilities.
- You’ll bring a strong appreciation of services and solutions that can be deployed across mobile and telecommunications networks, and be at the forefront of considering the potential of 5G. You may have been involved in the deployment of 4G capabilities previously having helped deliver the last mobile data revolution, you’ll now be keen to bring that experience to bear in making 5G even more of a success.
- You’ll have strong commercial management capabilities, working closely with suppliers, partners and public bodies. Your ability to negotiate and create a shared vision across multiple parties will be a key element of your skill set.
- From a budgeting perspective, as you will be managing the annual technology operational and capex budgets, experience of managing multi-million pound budgets and using them impactfully under oversight will be a key requirement.
- You’ll be able to show a keen interest/experience in IoT (Internet of Things), M2M (Machine 2 Machine) applications and how data will be transmitted, stored, and utilised to fundamentally advance the services we use across both the public & private sectors.
- You’ll have an extensive network of contacts within the Telecoms industry across Network Operators, Carriers and equipment manufacturers.
- Visionary Leadership
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills. You’ll be able to engage with varied audiences, and be able to argue persuasively at very senior levels influencing outcomes and policies
- Effective team management of both direct teams and virtual teams across suppliers, partners and customers
- Strong business, commercial and financial acumen (including business planning & forecasting)
We are working with Mallory Partners as our recruitment partner for this role. The closing date for applications is 30 August 2019.