This isn't a typical Data Science position. As despite looking for someone who has experience with the various data science toolsets, we're not looking for a practitioner, or someone who's able to code or build models, or do anything with NLP or AI.
Instead, what we're seeking is someone who's knowledgeable about connecting the use of the various tools at the disposal of your typical Data Scientist, with solving business challenges, and also understands how each of the various tools can improve/enhance efficiency, accuracy, speed and unlock innovation and potential for a business.
For example - if the business is challenged with manpower to scale predictive analytics to support business needs - can you recommend a suitable solution to deliver an automated and scalable AI driven solution instead?
ABOUT THE ROLE
You'll be working with the company's Data Scientist community. Looking at their 3-5 year roadmap. Considering the various use cases they're looking to deliver, and understand where the potential limitation or pinch points might be. Then how you can support them by marrying your knowledge of the data science tool eco-system (the various features and benefits of each), with the business challenges they're looking to tackle.
This is best described as being a client-side management consulting position. Handling a large stream of projects all centred around improving the company's commercial use of data, through the scaling of their data science capability and respective toolkit.
WHERE THE ROLE SITS
The role sits between the company's Technology division and the Data Science community. Identifying the opportunities to enhance what the Data Scientists can do. Developing business cases and gaining approval for implementation of new tech based solutions. Then putting them onto the roadmap of the Technology division to be delivered.
As part of your consulting process, you will need to dig into the needs of that Data Science community. Understand if, what they think they need, they do. If not, you've got to be able to push back appropriately and challenge their ideas. Ensuring their thinking is robust and providing your own subject matter expertise to guide and advise accordingly.
DO AMAZING THINGS
There's massive scope here, being a new unit. The business has the appetite for change, and their Data Science community is looking to embrace a tool-agnostic mentality. Putting to work the best tools for any particular challenge. So your stakeholders are ready to embrace new things and you're going to be joining a business of significant scale - with tens of millions of customers, revenue in double digital billions per annum and are embracing new ways of thinking, new product opportunities and innovation like never before!
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Tools brought in and adopted by the Data Science community
- Efficiency gained and business potential unlocked/realised
- Production improvement - e.g. amount of models put into operational use
Role: Management Consultant - Data Science Tools
Location: Central London
Salary: £80,000 to £95,000 (based on experience)
Benefits: £5k car allowance, 15% bonus, great pension, 25 days leave, flex-bens package and lots more.
- Solid breadth of knowledge and experience around the data science industry and the tools used - such as Hadoop, R, Python, Scoop, Hive, Pig, SQL
- Evidence of successfully influencing a firm's analytics technology roadmap. Providing recommendations on appropriate tools and solutions
- Knowledge of automated analytics and self-service analytics programmes and platforms
- Good understanding of automated modelling and AI solutions
- Able to demonstrate the ability to connect the technology solution to the business problem it's looking to solve
- Previous within a data centric management consulting firm in this kind of space will be ideal
- Experience of business case development and have experience of successfully influencing change within big businesses
- Must have the necessary visas to live and work within the UK without restriction.
For further information please contact:
Managing Consultant - Blue Pelican Marketing
You can view all our vacancies on our web site www.bluepelican.com, or call and ask for the marketing division.