Operations Director - leading to MD role with £15m t/o Main Contractor - London
About my client;
They are currently a £15m turnover company (year end March 2020).
Year end March 19 = £10m / Year end 18 = £11m / Year end 17 = £13.5m
Operate a Sub-contract and Main contract division
Founded 2008, 11th year of trading
Sub-Contract = 20% of turnover, Main Contract = 80%
Typical Main Contract project values = £1m to £5m.
Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track Top 100 UK company - 2015, 2016 & 2017
Financial Times Europe Top 1000 company - 2017 & 2018
No debt, self-funding, organic growth
Growth target of £25m turnover by year end March 2022.
Growth target of £50m turnover by year end March 2025.
Minimum Net Profit Margins of 5%.
About the Role;
They are looking to create an Operational Director role to facilitate the current owner to move away from the day to day running & management of the company, to allow him to focus on pre-construction & estimating (winning tenders), and to build a new estimating department that will run self-sufficiently in 18 to 24 months.
This is a genuine opportunity to move into the MD role over time.
About the Responsibilities;
You will be accountable to the Owner and Managing Director. You will be responsible for the delivery of growth and a new pipeline of work opportunities to meet £25m turnover target by year end March 2022, delivering a minimum 5% net profit margin.
* Develop a growth strategy, implement and manage
* Business Development
* Raise awareness of NVC in the market place
* Target projects not in our current niche - i.e. £5m + projects
* Market Sector diversification
* Bring in additional business.
* Develop long term customer relationships and repeat business
* Strategic and long-term business improvement (development with owner and other senior management staff).
* Responsible for operational delivery of all project - programme, quality and profit.
* Working closely with Senior Contracts Manager and Commercial Manager on a day to day basis
Health & Safety
* Lead, develop, implement & improve our H&S strategy across the business.
* Positive H&S results / performance
Pre-Construction / Estimating:
* Assist owner / MD with PQQ's and tender returns
Risk & Financial Management
* Compliance with insurance requirements
* D&B project risk controls - contractually and commercially
* Contract awareness - review of contracts and negotiation of terms and conditions
* Effective risk management processes to identify, quantify, monitor and minimise risks in projects
* Provide guidance and support and challenge to ensure effective cost forecasting and cost management of projects.
* Ensure effective contract and documentation procedures are in place to deliver and to minimise long terms risks to the business
* Develop current reporting structures to monitor progress, risks and costs.
Leadership & People
* Provides leadership, mentoring and guidance to all staff
* Develop a performance culture which drives performance on a day to day and annual basis
* Personal Development Plans for individuals, reviews, appraisals
* Put in place Succession Plans
* Close working relationship with MD/Owner, Senior Contracts Manager, Commercial Manager, Sub-Contract Construction Director
* Direct Line Manager for all Staff, excluding estimating.
Organised, structured and professional
Proven people management skills and project management skills
Proven influencing and negotiation skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Attention to detail
Strong team leadership skills
Ability to delegate effectively but not afraid to do the detail when required
Trustworthy & ethical approach
About the Requirements;
Experience in either a MD role or as an Operational Director / Regional Director
Experience in leading and managing teams encompassing commercial, construction, pre-construction and business development
Experience of strategy development
Ability to develop strategies and plans which align to the long-term targets of the business
Ability to manage many functions of the business simultaneously.
Commitment to customer satisfaction and delivery of repeat business
Strong analytical and IT skills
Comprehensive knowledge of current construction matters and trends
Ability to drive margin improvements throughout the business functions
Ability to work with an owner heavily involved in the business
Salary - TBC with individual
Car Allowance of £6,000.00 (paid via salary and taxed)
Pension Contribution of 10% of salary
Yearly bonus - TBA on targets set
Long Term Incentive Plan Bonus - working towards targets of March 2022 and March 2025
Normal work expenses