Joint Managing Director
As part of a strategic succession planning exercise we are seeking a proven Managing Director to join the Board of a leading specialist retailer and distributor based in the South East of England. The business has a blend of high-growth online sales which now contributes more than half of its revenues, as well as a small network of stores and a direct sales channel.
The new Joint Managing Director will ideally possess a strong track of delivering significant growth in an ecommerce business, as well as having experience of managing physical stores, sites or a branch network.
The business currently has revenues of c. £70m and is highly profitable. It benefits from having a hugely loyal customer base which is split between B2B multinationals down to SME customers and consumers. The new Joint MD will take full responsibility for the day to day management of the overall business operations, whilst specifically leading the future development and growth of the online channel, which sells to both SME business owners and individual consumers. This will enable the other Joint Managing Director to continue his focus on developing the rapidly growing technical products division which solely services major contractors and construction customers. He has a widely recognised reputation as a true expert in this field and is hugely passionate about the opportunity they have for growth in the market.
The business is run by a strong management team supported by a highly respected and sector experienced Chairman and is particularly well placed to capitalise on the future growth opportunities they have identified as part of the strategy for this next phase of development. It is expected that there will be a game changing event for the business in the next 12 to 18 months at which point the existing Joint MD will retire. In advance of this planned retirement it is expected that the appointed candidate will have time to settle into the role and to contribute to the success of the business in the preceding period. In recognition of this contribution a bonus will be made available for the new Joint Managing Director with the likelihood of an equity stake in the business being made available for the next phase of growth.
- Full general management responsibility for the entire business operations
- Specific responsibility for the continued development of the online sales channel (c. £45m revenue)
- Commercial and strategic leadership – identifying new business opportunities and areas of improvement
- P&L responsibility
- Strategic planning and execution
- Leadership of the business planning and budgeting process
- Development of business processes and procedures
- Experience of the DIY and or building products market ideally spanning ecommerce, traditional retail and wholesale
- Proven leadership experience in an SME
- An understanding of the challenges facing a small company experiencing periods of significant growth and the need to implement “best in class” processes and infrastructure.
- Strength of character to provide leadership and challenge to colleagues at all levels
- A hands on and engaged nature with a genuine desire to operate in the business and to lead from the front.
- Sound financial management experience with the ability to prioritise investment in areas deriving the highest impact and therefore maximum return on investment.
This will be a hands on, challenging and exciting opportunity for a proven MD. The business is well positioned for growth and needs new leadership to transform it from a small company into a genuine medium sized organisation with the requisite infrastructure and personnel.
Apply for Joint Managing Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly