Head of Business Development
The Head of Business Development will develop a BD strategy to support this City law firm’s business strategy and help build competitive advantage in its markets. You will support improved results in business generation across all practice areas, by embedding effective and focussed approaches to business development which build on the firm’s existing strengths in its brand, and its market profile.
- Build consensus and support for the Business Development strategy among partners, fee earners and other Business Services Heads
- Implement the agreed Business Development strategy in an effective manner including leadership of relevant change and development projects, a number of which will be cross-functional and likely to involve stakeholders from across the firm
- Providing expert advice to the Executive Board on a range of issues relating to Business Development
- Advise, coach and support partners and fee earners on a variety of Business Development challenges arising in their practices and promoting development of Business Development skills across the business
- Ensure that the Business Development function operates efficiently and that it delivers a high level of ongoing operational service to the business
- Support a variety of tactical and operational improvement initiatives relating to Business Development within the business and prompting such initiatives in response to market opportunity
- Develop and manage the annual Business Development budget in order to deliver best value for all expenditure and to ensure business case assessment for all investment items
- Build and manage positive relationships internally and with relevant external stakeholders and clients including relevant sector press and industry groupings.
- Instigate and deliver events and seminars which bring potential clients and contacts to the business
Suitable candidates will have the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to understand the firm’s strategy and the framework for the implementation of that strategy
- Articulate a clear and practical vision for development of the function to add value to the wider business strategy
- Build support for development initiatives among key stakeholders based on a clear and credible business case
- Understand the key forces shaping and changing the market for legal services
- Promote agreement on priorities in the context of the firm’s business strategy and wider development agenda
- Maintain a high degree of subject matter expertise and evolving best practice across all areas of responsibility
- Law firm experience is essential.