Chief Financial Officer - Private Equity-Backed Consumer Financial Services
My client specialises in providing pre-paid financial products and services direct to the consumer. Established for over 25 years it is one of the UK’s leading independent providers with operations in the UK and Spain.
Over recent years the business has experienced substantial growth and change following private equity investment. The business is now over six years into the investment life cycle and is targeting an exit within the next 2-3 years. This CFO appointment, the latest change to further strengthen the board in preparation for the exciting journey ahead, represents a fantastic opportunity to help steer the business towards a maximised value-creation event.
The new CFO must be commercial and “forward-looking” in their financial and strategic approach. The CFO must be exit-orientated; however, they also need to meet the technical and academic challenges particularly in understanding the underlying embedded value of the fund, future investment returns and ultimately the enterprise value on exit. The CFO will take responsibility for investor relations with both Private Equity and the funds’ trustees. Strong technical and communication abilities will prove vital when articulating value to potential buyers and trustees when extracting surplus capital.
Not only will the CFO work as the CEO’s right-hand and a commercial partner to the senior team, they will also be actively involved in shaping and challenging the growth strategy with the implementation of measurable KPI’s and metrics. The CFO will be expected to constantly measure and articulate to its stakeholders the embedded value within the trust and where the business is against the growth plan towards a maximised exit.
- Must have operated at CFO level within a stand-alone P&L autonomous growth environment.
- An understanding of “embedded-value”.
- Experience within relevant direct-to-consumer Financial Services environments is helpful.
- Strong cash management experience ideally within a leveraged or cash constrained sales environment.
- Track record of leading a business through a period of significant growth evidenced by revenue and EBITDA consolidation and growth/ cost control. Must be strategic and commercial with a demonstrable track-record of value creation.
- Implementation of data-driven financial systems and processes including MI, sales metrics, forecasts and KPI’s.
- Experience within an FCA regulated environment.
- Experience of dealing with Private Equity or a similar investor-relations dynamic.
- M&A and exit experience desirable.
- Commercial forward-looking approach to both business planning and execution. A thought leader willing to challenge both the status quo and the strategic change agenda where necessary.
- Collaborator with ability to drive change agenda. Ability to negotiate and influence internally and externally
- Partnership mindset – work with CEO to set agenda and track progress.
- Hands on and technically numerate particularly around calculating embedded value over the short, medium and long-term.
- Intellectually curious.
- Personable predisposition and ability to win hearts and minds.
- Must fit into a consumer-centric sales and marketing environment.
- Strong presentation skills and gravitas.
- Develop and support a data driven culture.
- Must possess excellent leadership and communication qualities, well adept at articulating and selling the companies value to the market, particularly potential buyers.
- Ability to prioritise tasks in a commercial, logical manner.