Head of Software Engineering
Head of Software Engineering to lead multi-functional Agile software product engineering Tribe of circa 80 people required by tech giant in Dublin, Ireland to delivering sports risk trading and trading tools for Real Time trading platforms handing billions of sporting events, and prices with latency measured in milliseconds required with a mix of skills across large scale technical software product engineering leadership/line management/roadmap delivery, stakeholder management, visionary, and proven background in Agile delivery ideally the Spotify model to deliver pace and efficiency and be obsessed about outcome focused product delivery based on business value/outcomes not funding projects.
Skills required as the Head of Software Engineering would include:
- Previous background as Senior/Head/of Director of Agile product focussed software engineering
- Experience of software delivery at pace and efficiency leading managers and architects to continuously improve quality and reliability
- Technical heritage delivering highly complex web systems (current teams use .NET or Scala or Java) for highly complex software engineering such as distributed systems/Real Time systems/low latency/high volume systems/high scalable systems/full stack high volume websites etc
- The ability to apply enterprise and solution architecture and assess the cost of ownership and approaches to support development
- Strong experience in Agile ideally embracing the Spotify or embracing product delivery based on business value/outcomes not funding projects.
- Excellent leadership skills required to manage and inspire large Agile tribe of 80 people with three senior direct reports.
- Skills in identifying, hiring, mentoring, developing, coaching, retaining software engineers, engineering managers, architects, and analysts
- Managing key commercial stakeholders up to Managing Director level
- Experience of managing and delivering cross functional initiatives across technology and the business and ensuring the dependencies are managed
- Experience of managing and coordination work demands across the product area and present a clear view of capacity and capabilities
- Managing significant multi-million pound finance and people budgets to optimise spend and efficiency and identify synergies
- Building and retaining relations with third party providers, suppliers and partners
- Experience of leading programmes across multiple or international locations
- Other characteristics would include customer obsessed, curious, effective communicator, collaborative, commercially savvy, nimble, resilient, talent focused and quality decision maker.
The technology stack for the teams is broad across Java, .NET and Scala with a variety of database, messaging technologies Kafka, RabbitMQ, Public/Private Cloud infrastructure and involves continuous delivery/continuous integration, and automated and performance testing so utilising and leveraging a mixed portfolio to deliver the best full stack solutions.
This is an outstanding chance to develop you career working for a world leading technology company with a large scale technology function across Europe, and is a great chance to embrace customer obsessed rapid software product delivery and reliability for massively transactional web centric systems which are highly complex and embracing the latest to keep you challenged and will offer some travel within Europe.
Ideal backgrounds might include experience of high volume web/Internet companies, trading systems, banking systems, streaming, online gaming, online betting, media, online travel, E-commerce, telecoms etc