The Canal & River Trust is among the UK’s largest and newest charities. As the guardian of 2,000 miles of historic inland waterways – plus reservoirs and docks – and towpaths in England & Wales, the Trust has a clear vision to make life better by water, delivering greater wellbeing to millions. The Trust is responsible for the third largest collection of listed heritage structures in the UK, and for vital habitats, including over 60 SSSI. In addition, it cares for infrastructure that is over 200 years old and operates as a working navigation network, used by 35,000 private and commercial boats.
The Trust was created out of the former state-owned British Waterways in 2012 and is now one of the most operationally and commercially complex not-for-profit organisations in the country, with an income currently exceeding £200m per annum.
We are currently seeking a Finance Director to work with the Board, Chief Executive and senior leadership team to develop and deliver the Trust’s long term financial plans, to secure a sustainable future, and lead a finance team to build on the organisation’s firm financial foundations. This is a challenging and unique role within an organisation that is of true national importance with huge potential to increase its impact. The Trust is made up of a wide range of operational, commercial and charity functions, with people – including growing numbers of volunteers – who are passionate about the waterways and their impact on people and communities across the country.
- The ability to act as guide and partner to the Board, CEO, and the senior management team, delivering the financial stewardship that supports the achievement of the Trust’s strategic goals
- Commercially astute, strategic in outlook but with a forensic ability to “drill down into the detail” and create clear and accessible insight and information
- Ensure that the business has high-performing finance team and financial systems and processes, fully aligned to support the organisation and delivery of its key priorities
- Appreciation of and ability to lead highly advanced risk management, information systems and procurement
- A genuine passion and belief in the aims of the Trust
- Graduate calibre, qualified chartered Accountant
- The presence, gravitas and impact to develop strong internal and external relationships across a broad range of complex and high calibre stakeholders including Government – able to deliver direct, clear and honest communication
- Broad finance experience most likely gained in a blue-chip, commercial setting or a complex not for profit organisation of relevant scale. A deep appreciation for best practice and ability to drive improvements
- The Trust aim to represent the diverse communities they are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. They strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what they do
Please reply in confidence with full career and current salary details quoting reference SN/71627