Director of Finance and Operations
- Financial, operational and strategic leadership to the Trust
- The DFO will be a member of the Trust's Executive Team
About Our Client
The University Schools Trust (UST, the Trust) is a unique partnership of six world-leading universities and five sector-leading bodies who are working together to deliver a shared vision of inclusive, high quality and transformational education delivered by schools which are deeply rooted in the communities they serve.
The Trust was founded in 2016 and comprises two schools. One is a large all-through school, which has been graded outstanding by Ofsted for nearly a decade. The other school converted from a UTC to a secondary school in 2016 when it joined the Trust, and since that time is on a journey of improvement towards also becoming an outstanding school. Both our schools are over-subscribed.
The Director of Finance and Operation's role is to lead, develop and coordinate finance and operations to support outcomes for pupils across the Trust by providing high-quality solutions. In operating effectively the incumbent will build capacity for the Trust's growth and development for the future.
The DFO is expected to bring a modern, commercial approach to the leadership of the finance and operations functions, coordinating activities within the schools in order to deliver a highly effective and value driven service with an emphasis on business partnership across the Trust.
The DFO reports to the CEO of the Trust and will support the CEO in fulfilling their role as Accounting Officer. Specific key accountabilities of the DFO role will include:
- Finance - ensure the effective management, reporting and recording of the Trust's finances, including budget planning, monitoring, control and communication of financial information for decision-making
- Operations - ensure the fundamental facilities and services necessary for the Trust to function are maintained to drive sustainability, support teaching and learning excellence, assist in expansion and support community engagement
- Procurement - procure goods and services on a value-for-money basis (economy, efficiency and effectiveness) to support education delivery within the context of regulatory frameworks and legislation
The Successful Applicant
The role of DFO calls for a professional with the necessary experience, skills and personal qualities to be able to operate as part of a close-knit senior management team.
We are looking for a CCAB Qualified Accountant with:
- Proven experience of leading Finance and Operations functions
- Strong commercial acumen that has been demonstrated in providing financial and commercial effectiveness in a resource-constrained environment
- Wide-ranging core experience and commercial skills encompassing the following: budgeting and planning, strong cash-flow management, managing capital expenditure and procurement, creating a strong control environment around management and statutory reporting and compliance, strong financial and management information analysis skills and able to disseminate timely, accurate and relevant reports to key stakeholders
- Experience of Estates and Facilities Management and Health and Safety, as well as accomplished IT knowledge, with particular reference to being able to establish an appropriate infrastructure to assist the Trust's development while safeguarding people and assets
- Previous experience in building effective teams, developing staff and managing external business relationships and networks
- Exposure to regulated business environments, with a demonstrable track record of having managed risk in a proactive and pragmatic way
- An excellent communicator, both in person and in writing, with highly developed interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- A passion for education and a commitment to its role in transforming individuals' chances of success.
What's on Offer
£90,000 - £95,000 plus benefits.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPFE14009672Z