About LGPS Central Limited
LGPS Central Ltd (LGPSC) is the FCA-regulated asset manager for nine local authority pension funds across the Midlands. Our Partner Funds are the Cheshire Pension Fund, Derbyshire Pension Fund, Leicestershire Pension Fund, Nottinghamshire Pension Fund, Shropshire Pension Fund, Staffordshire Pension Fund, West Midlands Passenger Transport Pension Fund, and the West Midlands Pension Fund. We are jointly owned on an equal shares’ basis by eight of those Partner Funds (the West Midlands ITA Pension Fund is not a shareholder, but its rights are represented by the West Midlands Pension Fund). It is one of eight Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) asset pools in the UK.
Together our Partner Funds own c£45bn of assets invested on behalf of 950,000 scheme members across 2,300 participating employers. A key objective of LGPS Central Ltd is to improve net investment returns after costs; to enable access to a wider range of asset classes for participating Partner Funds; and to ensure good governance.
Since its launch in April 2018, LGPSC has become responsible for around £17bn of these assets. Around £7bn is held in funds structured in an Authorised Contractual Scheme (ACS, itself authorised by the FCA) and around £10bn in a range of advisory and discretionary mandates. The volume of assets under management is expected to grow rapidly over the next few years as, in partnership with our Partner Funds, new sub-funds are developed and launched into which Partner Funds’ assets will transition.
The Company is expected to offer funds across a wide range of asset classes including listed and private markets. Through its team of in-house investment specialists LGPSC will manage these assets internally as well as through third party managers.
Our objective is to be a leading investment management company working exclusively with and for our Partner Funds. With a focus on value for money and performance we want to aspire to be one of the best because this is how we will deliver the investment returns and low costs that our Partner Funds are seeking.
LGPS Central Limited is now seeking to hire an experienced Programme Manager to be based in LGPS Central Limited Wolverhampton office.
The role will provide effective leadership and accountability for programme management across a range of critical investment management and corporate projects. You will be responsible for engaging with colleagues to ensure programme and project governance, delivery, assurance and reporting are managed effectively, with senior stakeholders.
You will have extensive experience of programme and project management techniques, frameworks, tools and senior stakeholder engagement and will have worked in a senior role within a continuous improvement and change environment.
The role involves ensuring agreed project methodologies are adopted and embedded across the Company. You will support the development and delivery of project business cases that meet the organisations’ objectives, benefits and cultural values. You will monitor the resourcing impact of projects on all business areas and manage a small team of project management and business analyst resource.
A key element of the role involves tracking progress against an agreed programme schedule identifying risks and forming/managing associated actions to mitigate impact.
Asset Management and Regulated Funds or Financial Services experience is a distinct advantage, however experience of working within a regulated industry would be advantageous.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced candidate that enjoys a significant degree of role-autonomy and is excited by the prospect of taking ownership of a major programme of work working closely with the teams across the business.
The role will:
- Coordinate the programme of work and projects to meet the timelines
- Support the internal Investment and Operations teams, overseeing key projects
- Work with third parties and clients
Deputy CEO/Chief Operating and Financial Officer
Ensure project specific budgets are managed and any changes to costs are approved by Committee
Executive Committee, Investment Directors, Senior Portfolio Managers, Portfolio Managers, Investment Analysts, Investment Operations, Finance, Compliance, Risk, HR
Partner Funds, third-party service providers, External fund managers
- Design and deliver a Programme Plan, working with the Deputy CEO/COFO and Programme Steering Group
- Maintenance of programme level plan, ensuring programme deliverables meet schedule
- Engage with all business areas and external stakeholders on development of new product launches including the scoping, resourcing and scheduling of projects
- Proactively identify and implement efficiency and process improvements
- Facilitate/manage Programme Steering Group seeking approval on decisions and escalating issues where necessary, including owning all meeting documentation
- Responsible for establishing and improving governance, control and risk management across the programme to ensure this meets operational and regulatory requirements
- Training, mentoring, development and performance management of programme team
- Prepare regular reports and updates for Committees, Boards and Client meetings.
- Lead the Programme Management Group reviewing all project updates, challenging status, addressing and capturing risks/escalations
- Assurance – ensuring all programme documentation is in place for internal and external Audit reviews and compliance requirements
- Keeping up to date with Compliance, Legal and Investment Product requirements
- Identify and manage risks and issues that could impact delivery, detect unstated assumptions and resolve conflicts
- Develop, refine and agree programme templates to ensure they satisfy governance and reporting requirements
- Manage, progress and oversee key project activities i.e. gap analysis, solution definition and selection, target operating model definition and delivery of functional and technical specifications
- Establish clear programme requirements, deliverables and principles with third parties to ensure alignment with LGPSC governance and structure
- Management of Business Readiness Acceptance Criteria process including presentation to Ex-Co for Go/No-Go approval
Experiences & Attributes
- Experience in managing a programme office delivering multiple project streams each at different stages of delivery
- Track record of engaging company boards, senior management and external stakeholders on programme issues
- Organised and self-starter
- Project management experience, procurement and contract management experience an advantage
- Experienced in preparing high quality documentation using the relevant tools and packages e.g. Visio, Microsoft packages
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent issues management with an ability to keep the business and project team focused on delivery, including effective delegation
- Experience of managing deliverables at each stage of the project life cycle from initiation to closedown
- Strong in building and maintaining client and operational relations. Ability and confidence to liaise with all levels of staff
- Problem solving, analytical analysis – understanding of complex issues and problems and able to identify practical / pragmatic solutions
- Effective time management -manages personal workload effectively, sets realistic and achievable targets and delivers to those targets
- Knowledge and experience of working in the financial services sector would be a distinct advantage
- Resilient, energetic and enthusiastic with great attention to detail
- Degree level education
- Prince 2 and/or any other appropriate Project Management qualifications
- Client Focus
- Supportive Workplace
- Cutting Edge
- Open, fair and transparent
- Honest and trustworthy
- Empowered in making right decisions
- Accountability for results and delivery
- Aspire towards partner fund expectations
- Fair treatment of staff
- Challenge status quo appropriately and work collaboratively
- New thinking and continuous improvement
Centre of Excellence
We are a diverse and inclusive employer and would welcome interest from all sections of the community.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please forward your CV with a covering letter by clicking on Apply quoting reference Programme Manager, highlighting your key strengths and experience in relation to the job profile.
Please note that the application closing date is 5pm, 30 April 2019.
Apply for Programme Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly