Director of Application Development
This position will lead diverse product teams of developers and quality assurance analysts that maintain and enhance highly complex enterprise-wide technology solutions to support the achievement of company's business objectives.
The position reports directly to the Chief Information Officer and is accountable for delivering end-to-end technology solutions, in line with strategic business objectives and priorities and provides technical insight, oversight, strategic context, direction and leadership to the teams involved. The ideal candidate will combine strong leadership skills, hands-on technical capabilities, and a knack for effectively managing technology to meet business goals.
- Provide leadership to the internal development, data and quality assurance staff and oversee development work of external consultants.
- Ensure sound design, process and quality practices are followed in application development projects. Develop product development processes including coding standards, technical documentation standards, QA processes, build, and configuration management.
- Work with business staff to identify and document business requirements for development projects to ensure development meets or exceeds customer requirements.
- Engage in hands-on, in-depth analysis, review and design of the software, including technical review and analysis of source code. Lead reviews of in-house developed code, as well as technologies provided by 3rd party vendors.
- Keep abreast of technological changes and innovations in the computer field, specifically development, web, and on-line technologies, including to but not limited to, insurance-related technologies. Monitor technology trends such as emerging standards for new technology opportunities.
- Ensure applications are supportable, achieve business objectives and anticipated benefits, are in line with reference architecture and meet security/availability/disaster recovery standards.
- Strong breadth of knowledge in modern software technologies, including, but not limited to Java, .NET and Mulesoft and understand and practiced established Salesforce (or other CRM) development standards and best practices.
- Strong project management and team management skills eg planning, budgetary control, people management etc.
- Passion to lead successful team efforts and projects exceeding expectations
- Insurance system experience (Duck Creek, Guidewire, etc.) preferred but not required
Education and/or Experience:
- Management of medium to large teams of developers & QA Analysts and significant ($1M+) budgets
- Bachelor's Degree required, in IT-related area preferred
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers.
Minimal as needed to visit remote offices/partners