Southwark Cathedral has been a place of Christian worship for over 1400 years. Now it stands on the vibrant and exciting regenerated south bank of the Thames surrounded by tourist attractions and the head offices of major companies as well as the seat of London government. Our commercial activities are vital to the running of the Cathedral and need to complement and be in sympathy with our core mission statement. The Chapter is committed to our vision statement:
Southwark Cathedral is an inclusive Christian community growing in orthodox faith and radical love.
The Chapter of Southwark Cathedral has been undertaking a review of governance and management structures and in response to a clear need for greater strategic and commercial direction has decided to create a new post. This new and exciting senior management role will develop and lead the commercial activities of Southwark Cathedral Enterprises Ltd (SCE Ltd) as well as oversight of the facilities management of the Cathedral precincts and the Cathedral’s residential property some of which are let out commercially. The focus will be on maximising the profitability of the Cathedral’s business streams, building year-on-year increases in the contribution the company makes to the Cathedral’s running costs, identifying areas for business development and improving ways of working, and ensuring that an annual business plan is produced and implemented. A key aspect of the role will be the management of contracts to ensure best value and the highest possible levels of service to the Cathedral. This will include close management of the performance and delivery of the new catering contract.
- Developing new business – work with the Directors of SCE Ltd to develop an annual business plan to maximise profit opportunities, explore new business opportunities in the local area, identify new business streams.
- Commercial management – manage catering contract with the Cathedral’s commercial partner, support and challenge the Head of Events and Conference Sales Team to maximise income, support and challenge the Retail and Visitor Services manager and team to ensure a positive visitor experience.
- Financial activities – work with the Finance Director to prepare an annual budget and produce detailed quarterly management reports.
- Facilities Management – through the Facilities Manager: establish and maintain accountable and competitive supplier contracts, ensure Cathedral facilities are maintained to an appropriate standard.
- Personnel – optimise the structure of the Enterprise and Facilitates teams for efficiency and effectiveness, manage process of recruitment and appraisal of staff and carry out the role of a Head of Department, contributing to the wider leadership and management of the Cathedral.
This is a great, brand new opportunity for the right person with the following attributes:
- Educated to post graduate degree level of professional equivalent qualification.
- Computer and IT systems literate.
- Able to demonstrate experience and achievement at a senior level in more than one organisation in the commercial sector.
- Have a proven record of successful commercial negotiations.
- Be enthusiastic and have passion for the mission and ministry of Southwark Cathedral.
- Have a strong track record of leading and developing managers and teams through change, able to set up and achieve targets for self, managers and team.
- Be an excellent communicator with great interpersonal skills, whilst being a strong confident team player.
- Be able to produce and present complex reports, proposals and recommendations effectively to handle the situation.
Please apply to Sarah Thewlis at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference S0202 following the full application instructions in the candidate brief by Wednesday 27 March 5pm. For further information please visit www.thewlisgraham.com.
For a confidential discussion contact Sarah Thewlis on +44 (0)20 7850 4781.