WISH2ACTION Social and Behaviour Change Communications Advisor (SBCC)
WISH2ACTION Social Behaviour Change Communications Advisor (SBCC)
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
Fixed term to end August 2021
The International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) is the leading global NGO in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). It is currently working in more than 170 countries in the world. The Africa Regional Office (IPPFARO) is one of IPPF’s six regional offices.
“Women’s Integrated Sexual Health” (WISH) is IPPF's new flagship health programme to transform the lives of millions of women and girls. Funded by DFID, WISH will provide integrated and holistic healthcare to 2.2m additional users of contraception across 16 countries in Africa and South Asia from 2018-2021.
Through a consortium of five internationally recognised organisations and 11 IPPF Member Associations led by IPPF, the WISH programme will provide a comprehensive, integrated approach to ensure equitable access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). The programme will prioritise the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disability, people displaced or affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas).
The post holder will lead the SBCC components of a multi-country, DFID-funded integrated Family Planning and Reproductive Health programme. The SBCC Advisor will provide technical support to programme partners, including IPPF Member Associations, in the design, implementation and coordination of rights-based SBCC activities to achieve programme goals.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing technical leadership across select programme focal-countries, and implementing partners in the development and implementation of locally appropriate SBCC strategies for policy and technical guidance to implementing partners to ensure quality of community and individual choice as well as the alignment of priorities.
- Coordinate the implementation of targeted formative research amongst priority groups, including amongst rural, poor communities with limited access to sexual and reproductive health services, in focal countries in order to generate behavioural insights and inform SBCC interventions.
- Support partners in programme focal-countries to develop coordinated, evidence-based SBCC strategies and plans that are solidly grounded on behavioural theory and formative research, for implementation across the lifetime of the project. Plans will incorporate a combination of approaches (mass media, community mobilisation, and interpersonal communication).
- Support programme staff and partners to implement, monitor and evaluate SBCC plans. This will involve providing remote support to country teams; conducting visits to focal-countries to provide direct technical capacity building support; and organising targeted training for SBCC staff - including through webinars and project workshops.
- Quality assure programme materials developed by country teams and programme partners and third party providers as required, to ensure that they are rights-based, of quality, and aligned with messaging frameworks and strategies.
- Ensure coordination between project partners, including mass media partners, multiple local clinical service delivery teams, and third party providers to ensure aligned integrated approaches.
- Present and promote project approach at local, national and international meetings
- Lead efforts to stay on top of latest thinking on SBCC and health seeking behaviours from an international perspective that can be applied locally
- Develop effective relationships with global consortium partners and IPPF Member Associations including project coordination and performance management
- Work closely with senior level consortium partners to conceptualize, design and implement global and in-country SBCC plans and processes
- Work with M&E staff to design and implement strategies to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of SBCC/health communications and programming
- Strengthen the capacity of national members and local partners in the design, implementation and monitoring of SBCC/Health communications
- Drive effective communication and collaboration between consortium partners and Member Associations, including regular meetings
- Ensure knowledge sharing and learning and oversee the development of syntheses and dissemination of lessons learnt from the project between consortium partners and national organisations
- Represent IPPF and consortium partners at relevant at national and specific programme meetings
- Lead initiatives to strengthen organisational capacity on SBCC within IPPF
- Produce and edit documents, work plans, reports, and presentations.
- To ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the remit of the post and in line with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy
- To build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside the Federation
- To become familiar with the Federation’s Health and Safety Programme and Guidelines for using Visual Display Units. To do everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment, including following instructions and guidance
- To undertake such other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time
- The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding in local and international context and demonstrate a willingness to sign and adhere to IPPF’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies
Education & Qualifications:
- SBCC technical expert with an advanced degree (M.A., MHS, MPH) in public health, communications, social sciences, advertising or a related area with significant public health and/or communication experience in family planning / sexual and reproductive health.
- Siginificant progressively responsible experience in developing, implementing, overseeing and evaluating SBC programs, campaigns, health promotion interventions, or relevant platforms and tools for effective SBCC programming including gender responsive messaging and advertising principles.
- Deep understanding and innovative application of Social and Behaviour Change (SBC); State-of-the-art knowledge about health SBCC; Sound knowledge of relevant SBC and Social Change theories; Sound understanding of new design thinking tools/approaches.
- Demonstrated experience working in partnership with international donors and agencies on social behaviour change communication programs (using multiple health topics, multiple sectors, multiple communication mediums)
- Experience of implementation and designing SBCC programs aimed at improved health objectives, including community-based SBCC interventions i.e. social mobilisation
- Experience of managing a multi-country SBCC project is essential.
- Experience working on, and knowledge of, family planning and sexual and reproductive health is highly desirable
- SBCC management in developing countries, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia regions.
- Experience working with mass media partners is desirable.
- Experience providing capacity building support to partners
- Ability to think strategically at a high level
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders and external partners
- An empowering approach to capacity building and a strong commitment to supporting others to learn and grow their skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to influence and negotiate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to effectively engage a range of stakeholders
- Excellent staff and team management skills – including global / virtual management
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent SBCC project management
- Excellent budget management skills
- Excellent time management skills to meet tight deadlines
- Fluent English essential. French / Arabic desirable.
- Excellent IT skills
- Willing to travel internationally – approximately 40 days a year
- Cultural sensitivity
- Supportive of a woman’s right to choose and to have access to safe abortion services
Apply for WISH2ACTION Social and Behaviour Change Communications Advisor (SBCC)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly