Principal Investment Specialist
This is a re-advertisement. Applications received from previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.
This position is for outposting to Kazakhstan Resident Mission (KARM) either in Almaty or Astana and is open to internal and external applicants. If the successful candidate is an external candidate, he/she may initially be based in HQ prior to being outposted. If the successful candidate is an internal candidate, the outposting will be immediate.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Infrastructure Finance 1 (PSIF1) Division within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSIF1 is responsible for deal identification and processing, up to signing, for nonsovereign infrastructure projects in Central and West Asia and South Asia.
PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. We catalyze, structure, and fund investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Our emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB's organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. PSOD is looking for exceptional project and corporate financiers or developers able to identify, structure and close innovative, developmentally and financially robust debt, equity and guarantee transactions. To learn more about PSOD, watch our video on “Working with ADB on Private Sector Financing”.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Investment Specialist will lead the origination, development, due diligence, approval and implementation of private sector infrastructure financing projects in Kazakhstan and other Central Asian countries, contribute to the development of policy and strategies of country programs, and monitor the development impact of the portfolio and ensure key issues are considered and proper risk management is applied.
The incumbent will report operationally to Director, PSIF1 and administratively to Country Director, Kazakhstan Resident Mission. Administrative Staff and National Staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent.
a. Project Development and Processing
- Leads in the origination of a pipeline of private sector infrastructure finance projects and screen investment opportunities in developing member countries (DMCs) through client outreach, marketing and deal screening;
- Leads, undertakes and manages the necessary due diligence, financial modeling, risk analysis and mitigation in the structuring of loans, equity investments, guarantees, B-loans or other forms of ADB assistance;
- Leads the internal approvals process including interface with credit, safeguards, integrity, legal and other teams as well as management and the Board;
- With the support of internal and external counsel, ensures for all deals that appropriate legal documentation is successfully concluded in line with approvals and that financial close (i.e., first disbursement) is achieved in a timely fashion;
- Leads and undertakes the implementation and the hand-over of administration of equity sector infrastructure programs and projects, ensuring compliance with required guidelines, policies and procedures as well as agreed covenants and reporting requirements up to financing effectiveness; and
- Performs the role of a nominee director on the board of ADB’s investee companies representing ADB’s interests in accordance with the principles of sound corporate governance, as assigned.
b. External Liaison
- Facilitates or leads active relationships with commercial lenders and other financial partners in the region and beyond as well as with developers, investors and governments; and
- Assesses and structures transactions to maximize the potential for commercial co-financing and catalyzing of additional sources of capital.
c. Strategy, Policy and Project Evaluation
- Provides inputs and comments on project, policy and other papers related to private sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors;
- Drafts, reviews and provides comments on project, policy and other papers related to private sector development and operations issues in various themes and sectors; and
- Participates in country teams for planning and programming purposes, particularly with respect to private sector development and operations and sector priorities.
d. Staff Supervision
- Provides leadership and support to reporting staff;
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance; and
- Ensures the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's Degree, or equivalent or University (e.g., bachelor’s) degree combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Substantial relevant professional experience in private sector finance, including hands-on experience in processing investments for infrastructure projects, analyzing credit risks, structuring transactions, syndicating financing and other related commercial banking activities. This should include experience working in at least one developing country from the Central Asia region.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Russian.
- International private sector or development experience.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three (3) years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.