The Commercial Director will lead the efficient and effective commercial operation of the company, formulating the business plan and growth strategy. They will also lead the commercial strategy and implementation across the business by controlling costs, managing risk and increasing profitability.
A market leading developer of private and affordable homes in the midlands and south east. They have ambitious plans to develop 10,000 units over the next 5 years.
The Commercial Director will be responsible for the following:
- To work co-operatively and in consultation with the Finance Director and Regional Managing Directors throughout the development process, to satisfy affordable housing requirements and maximise sales revenues to ensure the business plan targets are met or exceeded
- To work co-operatively and in consultation with the Treasury, Risk and Compliance, Audit and Procurement teams
- Ensure accurate and timely information is supplied to the Executive Director for SMT, Property Investment Business Review and Group Board meetings
- Challenge and monitor turnover, margin and unit budgets and forecasts, take a strategic view alongside finance for reporting
- To forge and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers, contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, manufacturers, consultants and stakeholders
- Direct the commercial function ensuring procedures and standing orders are adhered to and competitive prices are obtained for all Main Contract awards and direct build sub-contractor/supplier/consultant packages
- Ensure accurate Work In Progress and Cash-flow forecasting and reporting. Ensure the commercial department provides up to date information for our loan facilities.
- Develop, monitor and maintain site reserves schedule
- Manage and support the Technical function by working closely and supporting the Divisional Head of Technical. Duties will include adding commerciality to the technical and design functions. Create a commercial culture at pre-construction and operational areas of the business. Drive efficiencies through value engineering workshops.
- To identify, manage and mitigate risk across the business
- To identify, manage and maximise opportunity across the business
The successful candidate will possess the following skills, attributes and experience:
- Proven experience in a senior commercial role (ideally director) for a recognised house builder or building contractor for the last 3-5 years
- Developer land appraisal and contractor new business experience
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to coach and develop staff to achieve their potential
Very competitive salary and benefits