Senior Project Manager
- Defra are one of the lead departments in delivering a successful EU Exit
- Project Managers will have the opportunity to influence and shape public policy
About Our Client
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is the government department responsible for environmental protection, food production and standards, agriculture, fisheries and rural communities in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The environment is fundamental to all that we do, and we must protect and enhance it. Our job is to make our country a great place for living. We do this by supporting our superb food, farming and fisheries industries, enhancing our beautiful rural environment, and better protecting against flooding, disease and other natural threats.
- A smooth and orderly exit from the EU
- A cleaner, healthier environment, benefiting people and the economy
- A world leading food and farming industry
- A rural economy that works for everyone, contributing to national productivity, prosperity and wellbeing
- A nation better protected against floods, animal and plant diseases and other hazards, with strong response and recovery capabilities
Defra Grade 7 Senior Project Managers will be primarily tasked with complete project delivery of a range of complex projects, which carry a high degree of reputational risk. In Defra most of our EU Exit work is delivered within the following priority EU Exit Directorates:
- The Marine and Fisheries Directorate
- The Future Farming Directorate
- The EU International Trade Directorate
- The Animal Plant Health Directorate
Across the Civil Service, Grade 7 (G7) is an important position that enables the Service to move forward in delivering its public service duties. G7s work across the full range of policy and corporate service areas and are responsible for setting priorities, agreeing targets and allocating responsibilities to their team.
As a G7 Senior Project Manager, you could be leading a single standalone project or a project within the wider Defra EU Exit Programme. In all cases you should expect to work in an environment of considerable ambiguity and uncertainty with political sensitivity.
You will manage a number of high profile stakeholders with conflicting priorities and manage risk accordingly. Procedures and methodologies you know and regularly practice will need to be adapted to suit the unique situations you will be placed in.
The specific responsibilities of this role will vary dependant on your project allocation but they will generally consist of full project delivery/management, risk management, stakeholder management, project planning/reporting and elements of supporting business transformation.
You will be posted to either one of our priority EU Exit work streams or the new central EU Exit Programme Management Office. Wherever you are working you will be central to the effective delivery and management of EU Exit related projects and be supported by Defra's Project Delivery community every step of the way.
The Successful Applicant
G7s act independently, departing from established patterns and are accountable for outcomes in their policy area. They will consider fresh approaches to working and devise new means of managing and implementing policy within set budgets and tight timescales. G7s will cultivate a strong personal network across government and industry through excellent interpersonal skills and high levels of confidence. They will develop deep specialisms on key aspects of their policy or sector and take on highly complex work. G7s use strong in influencing skills and knowledge to challenge upwards and broker solutions across organisational boundaries.
- Project Leadership Programme, Managing Successful Programmes (MSP)
- PRINCE2 Practitioner
- Agile Project Management Practitioner
(Or significant equivalent experience)
- You will have significant experience of delivering projects or leading project work streams in complex environments with diverse stakeholder interests.
- You are able to demonstrate ability to influence, manage conflicting opinions to consensus and set clear direction.
- You will be able to form and deliver through effective relations with technical specialists, delivery teams and corporate functions.
Key competencies sought:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivery at Pace
- Working Together
- Seeing the Bigger Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
What's on Offer
Role: Senior Project Manager, (G7)
Location: London (Westminster) but also opportunities to work regionally and with further options of flexible working
Salary: Grade 7 Pay Banding; £50,000-£55,000 + Civil Service benefits
Format: External candidates will be offered a two year fixed-term appointment with the potential for extension. Those appointed from within the Civil Service.
Sector: Public Sector and Government
Defra's comprehensive benefits offer includes:
- Generous annual leave
- A contributory pension (https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/employers/employer-contribu...)
- Staff bonuses and recognition based on performance related schemes
- Volunteering days
- Childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
Ref Code: MPFE13979347Z