WISH2ACTION Technical Lead - Data Systems (MIS)
WISH2ACTION Technical Lead Data Systems (MIS)
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
Fixed term to end August 2021
The International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) is the leading global NGO in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). It is currently working in more than 170 countries in the world. The Africa Regional Office (IPPFARO) is one of IPPF’s six regional offices.
“Women’s Integrated Sexual Health” (WISH) is IPPF's new flagship health programme to transform the lives of millions of women and girls. Funded by DFID, WISH will provide integrated and holistic healthcare to 2.2m additional users of contraception across 16 countries in Africa and South Asia from 2018-2021.
Through a consortium of five internationally recognised organisations and 11 IPPF Member Associations led by IPPF, the WISH programme will provide a comprehensive, integrated approach to ensure equitable access to family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). The programme will prioritise the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disability, people displaced or affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas).
This is a brilliant opportunity to join the WISH2ACTION team in the role of Technical Lead - Data Systems. You will ensure that the WISH data and IT systems capture and evidence results in a timely way that facilitates learning, course correction and payment by results. Working as part of the WISH2ACTION Evidence & Learning team and in close conjunction with the commercial team and country-based M&E and CMIS staff, as the Technical Lead - Data Systems you will identify and support the development of the best data systems for the programme given the complex realities on the ground.
Utilizing your professional experience developing and implementing data systems for international development projects, you will play a key role in the design and implementation of the WISH data management solutions. You will be able to analyse complex information quickly, work closely and collaboratively across teams to ensure solutions are appropriately integrated, be solution-oriented, and reach and articulate decisions with clarity to deliver solutions that command support.
The WISH2ACTION Technical Lead - Data Systems ensures that WISH data and IT systems capture and evidence results in a timely way that facilitates learning, course correction and payment by results. The Technical Lead identifies system needs and requirements, advises on systems best fit for purpose to meet the needs of the WISH programme and serve as models within IPPF, manages the development and implementation of technical solutions building off IPPF’s current systems (e.g., DHIS2, Open EMR, Power BI, SharePoint, NetSuite), and sets data management standards across the programme.
Working as part of the WISH2ACTION Evidence & Learning team and in close conjunction with the commercial team and country-based M&E and CMIS staff, the Technical Lead - Data Systems identifies and supports the development of the best data systems for the programme given the complex realities on the ground.
Specific responsibilities include:
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
Design of WISH data management solutions
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the programme’s business processes and keep abreast of the latest developments in current practices and solutions related to data systems
- Lead and support an IT strategy across WISH workstreams that ensures a single source of truth data system and aligns with IPPF strategies and approaches
- Support field-based partners in aligning local data systems with the WISH data platform to reduce their reporting burden and ensure data quality
Implementation of WISH data management solutions
- Project manage data platform development in DHIS2 (design, development and testing) including supplier contract management
- Build capacity throughout WISH eco-system to use the WISH data platform including needs assessment, planning, coordination, rollout and ongoing training
- Identify and develop tools best fit for purpose for multi-site data collection, storage and use for mobile and community-based service delivery points and service delivery partners outside of IPPF
- Refine and maintain programme-specific aspects of the data platform that enable data capture, storage and use
- Develop shared knowledge across teams to support understanding, best practice and information sharing related to the WISH data platform; ensure collaborative working practices are adopted to maximise business efficiency
Data quality and data use
- Support data quality efforts through development of validations and other approaches in the WISH data platform
- Work with Data Analysts on the development of standardized dashboards and visualizations that enable performance monitoring against targets at disaggregated levels within a payment-by-results programme
- Facilitate integration and ensure reconciliation of WISH data into IPPF’s annual service statistics reporting
- Develop programme-specific data governance and management standards and ensure adherence to Federation-wide standards
- Ensure adherence to IPPF data and health information systems policies and standards
- Work with and advise across the programme to support data sharing and ensure robust data protection measures are in place and followed, including for third-party data verification
- Ability to analyse complex information quickly, work closely and collaboratively across teams to ensure solutions are appropriately integrated, be solution-oriented, and reach and articulate decisions with clarity to deliver solutions that command support.
- Significant professional experience developing and implementing data systems for international development projects, preferably with a focus on sexual and reproductive health and in sub-Saharan Africa
- Record of delivering successful and innovative solutions to business challenges
- Business analyst experience including requirements gathering, analysis of business needs, translation of programmatic and technical dimensions, specification writing, and leading user testing
- Demonstrated experience managing an integrated but diverse suite of data management solutions across different data types
- Advanced technical knowledge and experience in systems development and management with DHIS2, OpenEMR and/or PowerBI
- Experience with DHIS2 required (development, implementation or training), and experience with Sharepoint, NetSuite or a CRM desirable
- Advanced knowledge and experience with data integration and extraction from and to multiple diverse data sources and software programs
- Demonstrated experience developing database systems and workflow solutions across multiple business units
- Knowledge of relational database concepts, data manipulation and transfer principles
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in working with health information systems in developing countries
- Experience mentoring and providing ongoing training and support to field-based staff
- Conversational French, Portuguese, or Arabic language skills desirable
- Must be willing to travel internationally (60 days a year) and possess strong cultural sensitivity
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject or qualified by experience